Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Perfect Snow Board for woodworkers who ride!

+1 on the helmet thing.

I've given up on east coast skiing, but ski as much as I can in CO, UT, NM and WY--I can't remember a time in the last five years that I've seen anyone without a helmet. There's a reason for that. Heck--my personal belief is that snowboards are even worse in that respect than skis, since when you go over the top after catching a heel-side edge, you're going get slapped down hard--culminating in the rear of your skull hitting the snowpack with considerable force. If you are skiing mid-east coast hills, that generally means hitting ice. Ice is about as forgiving as concrete.

Helmets are a lot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room (or worse).

I thought most boards--and skis--were made of composites these days. While you certainly can make a ski or board of wood, I would think--in addition to the challenges Dave points out with the camber--is getting the metal edge right and protecting the base adequately. I've managed, in years past, to put some serious core shots into the bottoms of my skis, and the skis that I've owned have been pretty tough composites. I'm pretty sure some of those little accidents would have ripped right through a wood laminate board unless it had some kevlar or something bonded to it.

Eric, I think you are right about skis, but every board I've looked at has some type of wood core, generally plywood. Many advertise a mix of high quality plywood, poplar, and/or bamboo. Some seem to have some type carbon rod reinforcement, and the steel edge you mentioned.

Just watched Arbor's video on the board in my OP. Looks like the bottom of the board is some type of composite, but the core and deck are definitely wood!
    Last edited by Dave Gaul; 02-07-2012 at 9:34 PM.

Eric, race stock skis (those made for and reserved for, the elite racers) have wood cores. And yes, they are laminates. The skis that the public gets are composites that are far inferior in performance.

I've thought about making a pair of skis...But the edge thing is what always stops me. And yes, there would need to be some sort of "base" to hold the wax. Of course, you don't NEED any of that. But if you didn't, you would be thrown back 100 years in technology and performance. I can't imagine carving a turn without metal edges. But if you made two skis out of wood, mounted some bindings, and started down a hill, I'm sure they would "work" and you would get used to them enough to "ski".

I did make a ski out of wood once...as a plaque for winners of a ski race that I've participated in for the last 7 years or so. It was made of walnut, was parabolic, and had camber...hehe, the camber was easy...I just used a board that was bowed.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Dave
    I have an Arbor board they are really nice, in some ways to nice I'm a little paranoid someone will steal it so I always use board check. Mine has a bamboo top sheet.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S Stockton View Post
    Dave
    I have an Arbor board they are really nice, in some ways to nice I'm a little paranoid someone will steal it so I always use board check. Mine has a bamboo top sheet.
    Tom
    Haha nice! Yeah I'm pretty much settled now on the Element RX! After doing some more research, I think this board will serve me just fine for quite a while!!

its snowing.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    its snowing.
    Won't do me much good here... not even sticking! (although it probably will stick on the slopes!) Going to Bear Creek Sunday, supposed to snow saturday into sunday!
    Last edited by Dave Gaul; 02-08-2012 at 3:31 PM.

went to ski roundtop today for an early birthday present with friends, i saw someone with one of these boards. they had the white one.

its amazing how nice the slopes are on a monday between 10 and 3

Yeah, conditions were great on Friday, too. Though I did take a big wipe out! My right thigh is still sore... This Friday is the last Friday night for our league. If you guys want to meet up, Friday would be good...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Yeah, conditions were great on Friday, too. Though I did take a big wipe out! My right thigh is still sore... This Friday is the last Friday night for our league. If you guys want to meet up, Friday would be good...
    wish i could, but i got some party plans for friday night. i did a flip or two today, but its alot softer on the powder than the ice