Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Acacia hollow forms

More Acacia hollow forms

These were the projects for this weekend.
    I turned the 1st one on Saturday. It was turned endgrain from a log with a pretty good size branch coming out of the side (basically a crotch piece). I cut the log in half lengthwise (with the branch on one half) and the clear side went for a bowl blank. It has a bark inclusion that runs almost completely through it. It has some nice grain and color, but looks like 2 different pieces with the opposite sides looking so different.
    It's 5" x 4 1/2" and has a generous coat of DO so far.
    PICT0007-3.JPGPICT0006-2.JPGPICT0005-2.JPGPICT0008-2.JPG
    This one was turned today, endgrain from a small log. Wish I would have done a better job centering the piece. I do like having a band of sapwood for contrast, but the wide band is a little too wide and I didn't want to turn the form any narrower. It did have some nice color though.
    It's 5 1/2" x 3 1/4" with a good soak of DO so far.
    Both will get some WOP.
    PICT0001-1.JPGPICT0004-1.JPGPICT0003-1.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice Kathy. I like the little short one a lot. Cool how it has so much going on with it.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Lovely stuff, Kathy! I seem to have to mop up my keyboard every time you break out these acacia pieces... and the sissoo pieces... and the mesquite pieces! I think I've got a drooling problem!

I like the first one best but they are all nice.

5. Hi Kathy, I like your first and second pieces simply because they have a more pronounced neck and opening. The acacia is certainly beautiful. I understand the difficulty of getting the heartwood and sapwood balanced. I have that problem all of the time with the walnut pieces I turn. Overall, they are wonderful pieces!

the coloration in the first two pics is stunning
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Both are nice, and I will go against the tide and pic the second, more slender vase form. You do a great job on these, and the Acacia is such beautiful wood.

I like each of them! I also like that the sap wood was not centered perfectly - in my opinion, it adds to the character!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Really like these. You are right about the first one, I thought there were actually three vases. Love the grain in the first two pics. On the second, I'd be tempted to burn some teeth in the light area, make it look like it was ready to take a big bite of something ... alright, probably not, but its a fun thought.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

You've certainly been turning some beautiful pieces as of late! Wonderful work!

These are really great. I love the look of the wood. The grain is awesome.

exquisite work ms marshall
    exquisite

Very nice forms and dramatic looking wood. Have never heard of acacia before but like it a lot.

LOVE that 1st one ...
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Kathy,
    They are all very nice but the first one is a stunner. Beautiful shape, great execution and quite a piece of wood.
    faust