Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't plow / molding planes made reversible?

Why aren't plow / molding planes made reversible?

If the central part of the plane was symmetrical and there were through holes for the fence couldn't it be turned around?

Yes, to a degree. I've done with my #45 to cut a grove "backwards" to address grain issues. It worked but had a lot of wrong fence holds, so not ideal.

It sounds like a simple idea - are most plow planes set up with a fixture on the "outboard" side, to keep the mechanism aligned?

In practice, I tend to work right handed, and tear out or spelching are not common. FWIW - I liked Matt Kenney's simple plow planes, they were dedicated to fitting drawer bottoms.
    No fences required for that.

Blog Entries
    I've also wondered the same, I'm sure they can be made reversible, so why not? to sell more planes?

Reversibility is probably a problem with where the depth stop is located. In the LV plow, the depth stop is on the right, meaning that the groove plowed has to be further in than the width of the depth stop. The wooden plough I have, is a no-name, throws the chip up the center like a bench plane and has no depth stop. This one could have the fence reversed. However, the question is moot, as I have never run into a situation that would require a change of direction. A small amount of tear-out in the bottom of a groove/dado is not a great concern. If it were then the channel would be finished with a router plane.
    The lack of left-handed ploughs is more likely due to a lesser number of left-handed people who demanded them.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    FWIW - I liked Matt Kenney's simple plow planes, they were dedicated to fitting drawer bottoms. No fences required for that.
    Now that is a clever idea! Simple Krenov-style construction, no moving parts except the iron and wedge. Pretty cunning:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rooving-planes
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Regarding the LV products, their plow plane description says: "It is available in right- and left-hand versions to match your dominant hand."

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,41182,48945

While their skew rabbit says: "The plane is available in left- and right-hand versions. You may need only the version that suits your dominant hand, though neither model is exclusively for left- or right-handed users. They are in fact complementary since having both lets you accommodate any grain direction."

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,41182,48945

Truth in advertising: what a concept! :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I asked, since it seems I need to be able to go in either direction, since I had problems w/ the grain when making grooves on my current project.

Also, my workbench is in a corner of the laundry room and storage is an issue.

Lastly, I've always been fascinated by multi-purpose tools.

while I've made grooves against the grain without too many problems - (marking the grooves with a knife helps at times if the grain is really funky) whenever I have to make grooves, I try and plan ahead enough that the grain will be cooperating with me when I get to that step. It's less of an issue a lot of time because a lot of the grooves I make would be something like rails and stiles, where I find straight grain looks most attractive anyway.

As a practical matter, making reversible planes adds complexity to design and manufacturing.

That complexity also increases the chance the owner will seldom (or never) use the plane.
    It also increases the chance that after switch-over, something will be wrong or misaligned.

If you want to have fun, try making a reversible drawer slip plane from wood; then try switching
    back and forth (as grain reverses) while using it.

Cheaper? Yes, but at a significant cost to functionality.
    AKA - "The human termite"

If your fence allows it, you could always work the wood from the other direction, fence on top rather than bottom.

Well, for once I'm lucky.

Just got a Stanley 12-250D Combination Plane off the extremely Big auctiony site and darned if the (included!) manual didn't have the line:

``THE PLANE CAN BE USED FOR LEFT OR RIGHT HAND OPERATIONS.''

and if I understand the design, the fence can be mounted on either side.

Got 21 cutters w/ only 1 dupe, so just need to find 3 sizes of Fluting and I'll have a full set.

Blog Entries
    The Stanley site seems to have changed again. It makes it hard to find things.

Here is the page that listed the fluting cutters today.

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/flutingcutters.html

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The Stanley site seems to have changed again. It makes it hard to find things.

Here is the page that listed the fluting cutters today.
    Jim, do you know why the 1/2" cutter is so very differently shaped than the other three?

Stanley has the wrong photo up on that page (checked against the manual) --- makes ordering a bit worrisome.