Thread: My Clearvue is here!!!

My Clearvue is here!!!

My new cyclone came last week and when my wife saw it she reminded me of my commitment to build her a new butcher block countertop for the island in the kitchen.... After a quick trip to "Cheddars" for lunch yesterday so she could show me the table tops there, I am wondering what is this wood??? I was really wanting to get plantation shutters started first...... Oh Well......

MichaelIMG_1463.jpgIMG_1445.jpgIMG_1464.jpg

Variety of hard maple cuts, some with a little sap wood. The piece in the third pic with all the figure is quarter sawn.
    Last edited by joe milana; 02-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.

I love my CV! One of my best equipment purchases to date. Some people get hung up by the assembly and some of the parts and because of that drop it from consideration. That's too bad for them because the assembly is easy, it is well built and it is more versatile for installation due to it's light weight.

Good luck and congratulations on your new CV!

BTW: I would have guessed brown maple...

Nick

Blog Entries
    +1 on maple. Congrats on the CV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What are you going to use for suction?

Best lock up your cat if she hangs out in your workshop... With a bit of luck she might drop out in the cyclone. Congrats..

ian

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kertesz View Post
    What are you going to use for suction?
    Maple chips and dust.... Great choice on the cyclone. You'll love it! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I will be using a blower that I salvaged out of a refinery. The impeller measures 19" with a 6" discharge ... 5HP 3450 rpm 3 Phase.... It is scary the air this thing will push!!! Anyway my thoughts are to mount the cyclone body against the ceiling to give room for an oversize collection bin. Above the wood shop is a mezzanine level where I would like to place most of my ducting so as to keep good headroom... I am going to setup a valve to dump the exuast outside when the weather is nice or the filter pack when it's not....I'll suspend the blower from the main shop ceiling to lessen the noise and connect it to the cyclone with a piece of 10" steel pipe fabricated out of a sheet of 8 gauge hot roll..... I'm going to put a drop in my welding shop to help with air quality issues in that room too.... All the cats stay in the house!!!

There's quite a significant increase in pressure capability with each inch in impeller diameter Michael, never mind with 3... A VFD and a drop in RPM from 3,450 should knock the edge off it a bit if it turns out to be needed....

ian

Congrats!@

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    There's quite a significant increase in pressure capability with each inch in impeller diameter Michael, never mind with 3... A VFD and a drop in RPM from 3,450 should knock the edge off it a bit if it turns out to be needed....

ian
    I wonder if that would also help a bit with noise, at least from the blower. Larger slower turning fans are seem quieter than smaller faster turning fans. Wouldn't help with air-through-the-ducts noise though.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-08-2012 at 7:36 AM.

VFD is the way to go. You can monitor the amp draw to maximize the system as well. The fan outlet may well prove to be the real restriction there. Generally that size fan will have an 8-10" inlet and outlet. If the outlet can be expanded you will get more cfm at a lower rpm with less noise than you can get with the current 6". My system is much like what you are planning and works well. Not only will the vfd allow for speed adjustment, the soft start feature keeps the amp rush down to where starting and stopping won't dim the lights or empty the wallet quite as quickly. Dave

13. Michael, Did you ever pursue butcherblock as per Cheddar's? I am pretty sure those tables are cherry. The times I have eaten at one my question has always been what finish did they use. There appears to be none but they do not seem to stain or show wear either. I am doing some tables and wonder if anyone knows.

14. Great purchase! Congrats My is in the mail and can't wait.