Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Segmented bowls andl methods of cutting segmented pieces

I do not like a miter saw for segments. I have had a few come flying off. I have seen a few holders or cams folks have made to hold the segments. My table saw is not the greatest and the miter slide is odd sized so jigs are a problem. I had an old band saw blade I sharpened and stoned the sides. It worked really well for segments. Sanded a little, made 1/2 rings and it worked out really nicely. An added bonus I wasn't losing an 1/8 kerf each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    John, I would agree if you are doing 12 seg rows with no design. When you get up to 24-36 piece rows & fancy designs, this 1/2 approach can ruin your design FAST. DAMHIKT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bulloch View Post
    John, Malcolm is talking about cutting your segments as accurace as possible before gluing them up in half rings and sanding the ends. The key point here is "as accurace as possible", if you settle for angles that are just "close enough" you will end up with oval rings. Try lining that up when you are dealing with a pattern. Best to be concerned about "thousands past a decimal point" as you say, and strive for segments as close to perfect as you can, then glue them up in half rings and square off with the sander.

Bill and Michelle, you are probably right for I have never done anything that complicated. But to me if you are looking for accuracy using those tilt boxes I think look elsewhere. That was where I was going with my comments. I have one and the angle finder for the miter gauge. It gets you in the ball park but for dead on accuracy I do not trust it. I agree that you strive for the very best joints and angles needed to start with because you do not want to be taking alot off even when you have the two halfs done. That can throw seems off and design patterns. I believe that dead on accuracy can not be achieved as long as it is a tool doing the cutting and not a laser. Too many variables. But that is what makes woodworking of any kind fun.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    what will happen with a miter sled is at one time or another, you will get lucky and get a ring almost perfect. When that happens, scribe a line on your sled all the way down the fence so you'll know exactly where it was its most accurate. That will be much easier in the future toreplicate the cut later.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.