Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segmented bowls andl methods of cutting segmented pieces

Segmented bowls andl methods of cutting segmented pieces

Hi All,

I've made a few segmented pieces in the past and used my table saw with a jig to cut the pieces. Now I am without my saw but do have a miter saw. Is there a good way to cut segments on a miter saw? I do have a small cheap table saw that I could use. Would you use the miter saw or try to make a jig for this table saw. I don't have a lot of tools in this shop. Any suggestions much appreciated. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

In Malcolm Tibbets book, The Art of Segmented Woodturning, he shows how he uses a miter saw to cut the segments. It has pictures on how he does it.
    I have tried the miter saw, but I definately like the table saw the best. I feel I have more control while cutting the segments. Either way, if you do not have his book, I recommend getting it. You are sure to learn lots of new ideas from it. Good Luck.

I have a really nice miter saw and also a table saw. I tried cutting segments on the miter saw and never could get it to work like I thought it should. I made a jig for the table saw and it does everything I ask of it. I guess you know which way I would go.

I use a table saw with a jig. The miter saw just seems to unfriendly to me when cutting small pieces. But, if your table saw is a piece of junk like most cheap ones are, then you just might be better off doing whatever is necessary to learn how to do it on the miter saw -- lots of people do.

Blog Entries
    I use an incra miter1000se sled. It has the ability to cut as close as 1/10 of a degree. Although today I bought a Beall tilt box. It has 2 digits past the decimal point. I'm going to try it and see it it works any better. I'll do a review on it once I get a chance to put it to the test.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bill,
    Mine has two digits past the decimal point accuracy.................... the wrong side. LOL
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Thanks guys. I'll give the miter saw a try but I agree that the table saw seems like the way to go.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan, since you have a self described nasty tablesaw, I'd make sure it has a non-wobbling sawblade and then I'd make a jig for it. But, if you have an arm powered mitrebox, you can make segments very well on that. i did an 800 piece one on a mitrebox. it's not htat hard at all
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I use an incra miter1000se sled. It has the ability to cut as close as 1/10 of a degree. Although today I bought a Beall tilt box. It has 2 digits past the decimal point. I'm going to try it and see it it works any better. I'll do a review on it once I get a chance to put it to the test.
    Bill, I have been eying the Beall Tilt Box too, but am concerned about it's stated accurace to within .2 of a degree. Lets us know how that works for segmenting. I haven't found any system as accurace as the Incra.

I know and realize accuracy is the name of the game when it comes to segmenting. But I have read Malcolm Tibbetts books and like his approach to making rings. Do things in halfs. When you do this you can sand away any of those slight imperfections and no one will notice. I think we get way too critical with thousands past a decimal point. Just have a tad bit more glue between joints means another thousand and maybe you twitched when cutting segment. When you assemble a ring and do the corrections with a disc sander on half a ring you can't go wrong. Just an opinion.
    John T.

John, I would agree if you are doing 12 seg rows with no design. When you get up to 24-36 piece rows & fancy designs, this 1/2 approach can ruin your design FAST. DAMHIKT
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Malcolm Tibbets DVD "Getting Started" (volume 1 of 6) has good instruction on how to build a zero clearance jig for the miter saw, a sled for a table saw, and also a sanding jig. In his early videos, he is a proponent of sanding segments to final dimension, so, if you end up sanding segments, I think that your choice of MS vs TS is your preference. The sanding jig is what will need to be very accurate. Note: Malcolm has more recently stated that with using a Kapex (Festool) MS, he rarely sands segements. If you are interested in his video, google up "Tahoe Turner".

I've done all my segmented work with a chopsaw. pretty easy really... I clamp a thin piece of ply against the fence for zero clearance support, then clamp a stop block at the desired length. I will admit it is not as accurate as a table saw jig, so it helps to have a good disc sander to true things up...

John, Malcolm is talking about cutting your segments as accurace as possible before gluing them up in half rings and sanding the ends. The key point here is "as accurace as possible", if you settle for angles that are just "close enough" you will end up with oval rings. Try lining that up when you are dealing with a pattern. Best to be concerned about "thousands past a decimal point" as you say, and strive for segments as close to perfect as you can, then glue them up in half rings and square off with the sander.

Blog Entries
    As far as those table top saws, Be careful when picking one. Due to the motors being direct drive to the blade, I've found they all seem to have slight vibration. I would sugest asking to see one with a blade on it and turned on. Good luck though on your efforts.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.