Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy to use CAD program?

Easy to use CAD program?

Does anyone have a suggestion for an easy to use CAD program? At one time I used autosketch (I think), but it was many years ago. Something cheap, easy, and capable enough to produce some drawings for templates, etc?

PS- I tried to search, but CAD is too short!

instead of using CAD, why not use the whole word for C. A. D.

Deltacad is what I use for shop drawings. It works well. $40 or so. PC and Mac versions. www.deltacad.com

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    instead of using CAD, why not use the whole word for C. A. D.
    LOL! That will get you there.
    There are lots of packages available, from free to expensive. I have always used AutoCAD for 2D work.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Take a look at VisualCADD. http://www.tritools.com/v6_demo.htm
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    See my signature...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

You should investigate Sketchup. It's a 3D design program that's available for download FREE from Google. There are many tutorials available for it and within a couple of hours you will become quite proficient with it, mostly because it's so intuitive. I have tried many, but none were as easy to learn and use as Sketchup.

Charley

+1 on Sketchup. I won't say it's the best thing since sliced bread, but it is relatively easy to use, it's free, and there are a ton of woodworkers that use it so examples and help are all over the place.

+1 on Google Sketchup. I bought and tried many before finding Sketchup. It definitely was the most intuitive, while still being highly capable. Did I mention that it's free? No risk in trying.

For 2-d drawings I too use DeltaCad. Bought it on a group buy here a few years back. If you don't make drawings all the time this is the program for you - very simple and intutitive. One feature I really like is it's ability to print full size (or scaled).

Mike

Sketchup was fun, but I didn't spend enough time on it to get good. For shop stuff, I usually just need a 2D thing. Dassault Systèmes has released a free 2-D version of their excellent software, called DraftSight. It was easy for me to catch on to, but I have a lot of background with CAD, I used Pro-E for 10 years, ComputerVision before that.

-Dan V.

I use DeltaCAD for basic 2D drawings

And Sketchup for 3D

Blog Entries
    I am interested in finding something either free or cheap(<$50) that a non-cad user can learn. I have attempted to use Sketchup 3 different times and "fun" is not the word I would use to describe my experience. "Frustrating" would be a better word for me. Recently I built a lectern for my wife to use in her classroom. I did not have a plan to go by, just a rough idea in my (her) head. I needed something to calculate sizes that would take into consideration dado depths and face frame pieces to come up with accurate component dimensions. After spending over an hour in SU and still not having anything useful, I gave up and drew it out on graph paper in about 15 minutes. Is there anything out there that is easy to learn for an total newbie, yet geared toward woodworking? Or am I hopeless and should just stick with paper and pencil?

BTW: If I am hijacking the thread, just tell me and I will start a new one.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 02-07-2012 at 9:55 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    BTW: If I am hijacking the thread, just tell me and I will start a new one.
    No Hijack Larry- that's what I'm looking for also.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions- I'm going to take a look at them. For me it's a little embaressing- I'm about the last of the engineers that learned to draw with pencil and paper. I never learned the drawing programs very well.