Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Planemaker's Floats at Lee Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Clarke View Post
    Let's put that into a more friendly format. If I don't know how to do something then I will try out Chris Schwarz's methods because he has a track record of being correct most of the time and he's not trying to sell me something. I also look at Jim Kingshott (deceased), Lonnie Bird, Frank Klausz and Roy Underhill. George in this forum and that horrible guy from Perth that makes me feel so terribly inadequate are others that I give a lot of significance to.

I guess the reason is - they're right most of the time and they have a reputation of delivering the goods.
    +1 on this. I just about spat out my coffee at the comment about the "horrible guy from Perth."
    i like the aforementioned folk cause they don't seem to have a commercial axe to grind as well.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 04-08-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    We do whatever Chris Schwarz tells us to do Jack
    While I know it was "tongue in cheek". I think you are more right than you know. They talk about particular items being "Schwarzed" in that he makes a recommendation and all of a sudden, they are out of stock. I think he put Benchcrafted on the market almost single handendly. He also certainly helped Treemont nail increase thier sales.

I'm with Jack determining your own needs, but I'll admit that I read his blog regularly until he got into the "Joint Stool from a Tree" stuff.

I've made a few floats out of 1/8" O1 stock. It's pretty straight forward,especially if one is also making H&R irons since there would be plenty of scrap. Otherwise I'd go with Lie Nielsen floats mainly for the same reason I don't buy disposable Japanese saws: I want to be able to sharpen them.