Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherry platter rough out

I have not turned a platter before, but I have turned a fair bit of kiln dry wood. Before I knew about the joys of green wood turning, I used to go to my local lumberyard and buy cutoffs of their 8/4 stock and turn bowls and small hollow forms. Lots of dust and harder to turn than green wood, but it was stable and I got good results. I would not hesitate to use kil dry wood for a platter - in fact, it may be more desirable than green wood!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

If you have kiln dried stock that is big enough for platters, go for it! You could cut that 3'x2' piece in half and get two large 18" platters. Or cut it down to whatever size you want. A Walnut blank that big is hard to come by. Nice score.

I'll post pics in a bit- sorry to hijack the thread. It has a lot of checking, so I'll have to be careful to get good yield. I'll start a new thread when I get to it- I'm gonna need help.
    Where did I put that?

Rob,

You should be good-to-go with kiln dried lumber. You can use a glue block if you want to use the entire thickness for your platter. Good luck and post some pics when finished!

Greg