Thread: Mini Glaser 12 piece set review

Mini Glaser 12 piece set review

Long overdue but work takes precedence and allows me to purchase some of the toys. But, without further ado...

As I have mentioned in the past Paulo Marin had promised me the first set off the line. I recieved the 11 piece plus handle set and was immediately surprised at the heft the system has. As you can see in thie pics they fit nicely into the roll that is supplieddf4fba80.jpg I sharpened all the tooling and was really impressed with the factory profiles on the tools. I decided not to change any of the profiles.

I had a blank of FBE(Flaming Box Elder) and thought it would be a good test blank for the tools. So with the blank mounted 9ab7c636.jpg I set out to rough out a bowl and try as many different tools as I could in the process.89c1bea5.jpg I got the outside roughed and ready to accept the check so I could reverse it and do the inside 0a42e424.jpg I was really amazed at how well these small tools were performing. The inside took me a little longer but only due to the small cuts I was taking as you can't really hog out huge curls with a smaller tool. 5ff06412.jpg I finished the turning on the bowl and will post a pic once I get some finish on it. I was really impressed. The tools never heated up, kept a keen edge like all the Glasers are known for. I also decided while I was at it to make a few Pizza cutters ba093dd5.jpg 5229daf6.jpg. I made a total of 4 of those. I also needed to turn a pen for my niece that is acrylic and wood 260a23c4.jpg. I was over all very impressed with the set. I turned all those items and only had to resharpen once and that was on one of the bowl gouges which was used a lot on the bowl. The parting tool, Bedan, and negative rake scraper were more solid than what I expected. The roughing gouge was really solid during the roughing phase and I experienced no chatter with any of the tools. I had to do some traveling after I recieved the set and took them with me. 2 guys at my work(regional office), one who is just getting into turning fell in love with these babies and this set will be with me on each and every trip. I packed them in the check baggage and it was nice to finally take an arsenal of tools with me on my trips. Now, I get about 2 weeks at home and will be traveling back to Shaw AFB and then Grissom ARB in March. The tools will be with me so if you are in those areas and would like to check them out let me know, I always like to see shops and discuss turning!! Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to give as unbiased opinion as possible.

Congratulations on the Mini Glasers, Brian! They are a sweet looking set...Between you and Bill W. the pressure is on for me! I love a well manufactured tool!

Congrats on the set. Now to start dreaming........
    If Can, can. If No Can, No Can

Blog Entries
    I too have a set and have to agree with you all the way. I was quoted as saying they have Napoleon syndrome. They just don't act like small tools. I too agree with your assessment of the profiles. I left all of mine alone too. I'm wondering though, did you find yourself wanting to use them one handed? I found them to be so easy to turn with that I did find myself using one hand. I had to remind myself that it's against the rules of safe turning to do so. BTW, how do you like that fit of the tools to the handle? Isn't that incredible? Anyway, enjoy the new turning tool system and post the pics soon. Thanks for your review and I look forward to your piece.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bill, that fit is absolutely amazing. I work with a lot of tools and equipment. A lot on Military projects. I've never seen anything quite like the fit on these. The smoothness of how the slide in and lock is really unbelievable. I was at first concerned that fine dust would be a problem but after turning 6 pieces of Desert Ironwood and 6 pieces of Kingwood I didn't see any issue with dust at all with the tools fit to the handle. They definitely have the "Napolean Syndrome". Little tool that acts like the bully, and succeeds at it too. I didn't try the one hand use as much as I was tempted(I remember you stating that), I resisted the urge. I can't wait for the Synergy set to come out. Having both sets will be an awesome combination that will allow you to take any size project from a finial all the way up to the largest piece your lathe will hold. I think it's time for me to part with some of my other tools that won't see any action.
    One thing I forgot to mention was the quality of the "finish" of the tools. I own a lot of different tools by a lot of different manufacturers and the quality of the handle and each individual tool is by far better than any that I own. No milling marks, no dis colorization, no issues whatsoever. All the other ones I own I can point out "blemishes". Even my older Glasers were this way. The QC with the Glasers is top notch. Maybe the other guys will step up their game.

I'm finding all of this a little hard to believe. I think you need to send that set to me so I can verify your comments....
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    David, you'll have to come in to Tucson and I'll turn you loose with mine. The weather is great here, in the mid 70's. Had to turn on the A/C today when I was running around. Haven't had to use a long sleeve shirt yet this winter.

I really hope I get to see a prototype of the synergy system this weekend when I go there. I'm already saving for those when they release.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.