Thread: Upgrade this "beginner saw" Blade

Upgrade this "beginner saw" Blade

Any suggestions on a blade for this saw?

Table Saw

There's alot wrong with this saw, can't figure out a safe way to make a zero clearance plate, arbor to small for dado stack (so I've read) back to the plate issue again, fence stinks, miter slots not standard size for aftermarket upgrades etc etc.

It's an okay beginner saw but I find myself dreaming of a hybrid hopefully within a year! The wife did good on this Christmas present when I started out but it's like your first car...it get's you from point a to point b but leaves no joy in the middle. No break downs yet but alot of burn marks on some soft maple last week! I've tried adjusting the blade alignment etc but it didn't help, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Lets start with what brand and model saw do you have?
    What size is the arbor?

If you could sell your saw on CL and get close to that sale price, you'd be in the ballpark of a used cabinet saw. In this area, if you're patient, a decent Unisaw can be had for 3-500 bucks.

Bill,

Here is the link

Table Saw

That was somewhat of the plan, patience would be enforced by the wife when I tell her I want to upgrade the Christmas present she bought! lol

I would get a mid-priced thin kerf combo blade. IF you know you will be getting a hybrid and not a 3hp cabinet saw you might spring for a good TK combo blade you can continue to use. On the upper end I would get a Freud P410 Thin Kerf Fusion or a TK Forrest 40T WWII.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I'd just get a decent thin kerf general purpose or combo blade until your ship comes in...there are some good ones for < $40. Freud Diablo D1040, D1050, CMT ITK Plus 10050, DeWalt Precision Trim DW7140PT, DW7150PT, or the Onsrud CCATB 10-098-42 (currently $12.50 shipped!), or COM-10-098-50.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You have what I would call a contractor's saw.

Great for moving around a job site and cutting 2x4's to length.

Not designed for cabinet or furniture work.

A good tuning and a blade would help.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

A thin kerf blade will help. Go through the manual and set up the fence correctly. Between these 2 the saw will work ok.
    Don

I had the older version of that saw as my first "good" table saw. Nothing was very precise, including the blade arbor. Getting a clean cut was difficult. Stepping up to a used Craftsman belt drive saw with cast iron top was a big improvement. I would recommend a blade like the Onsrud, and save your money for a better saw. I have since stepped up to a used Powermatic 66. Another huge improvement. I can only imagine what a new saw would be like!

John

The Onsruds offered on the Bay are a heck of a deal.
    I have Freuds, Infinity, and 2 Onsruds-a glue line ripper and a combo.
    All have been very good blades.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Well you are starting off better than I did! I started with a delta table-top! I used a Freud Diablo 50T Combo (TK) on that saw, and I still use it on my hybrid for "rough work" quite often.

As others have said, check the blade to fence alignment. Not something that can usually be done correctly in a few minutes. Spend some decent time here...