A bit alarmist perhaps, but I've had to enforce a self-imposed ban on the lathe for a week (or possibly longer!)... I've realised that during my weekend turnings, when I can spend up to 6 or 7 hours in one straight session, I ALWAYS come away with a headache...

It wasn't until I re-thought my turning processes, that I spotted the one thing that I should have set up on the first day - the lathe centre height. My Clarke manual says something along the lines of "chek the spindle turning position, against the hollowing position". There is a difference of approximately 6" in my case (I may adjust this down to 4", depending on how the spindle turning pose adapts itself).
So, instead of lifting the whole lathe and bed off the floor, wasting some very nice sleepers, I decided to separate the lathe from the purpose made bench that came with it. Having started by undoing the bolts, and separating it last night, then laying out a template, last night was finished by cutting one, and checking it against the casting / pressed metal cover section - by turning the lathe on its side... (MAN, they're heavy!).
That done, I retired to the warm - we had up to 5" of snow hanging around. Today, I've been out again, with the promise from work of some 5 x 3" at 6' long, to help reduce the number of 3/8" plywood sheet profiles I need to cut (I'm not holding my breath, this is about the fifth thing the guys promised to bring in for me...) So I cut 4 out tonight, and 5 total a stack almost 2" tall. IF the 5 x 3" turns up tomorrow, I've got spares, if not, I'll cut some blockboard up to bulk them a bit!

Sorry for the ramble, there's no blood, and I'll be turning again VERY soon (In the middle of a roughout - still in the 4 jaw chuck).