Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What if we asked Mfg's to....

Blog Entries

What if we asked Mfg's to....

Make at least one tool in the USA? All the big companies use to make tools here in the USA. Heck most of my tools are so old that almost all of them were. Remember when Delta, Powermatic and so many more use to make stuff here. I do, the ones I have are the heaviest things you could ever lift in their catagory. I think it would be cool if the big tool makers made a line of American made tools and promote them as just that. Powermatic has their new black tools, imagine if they were also made in the USA. Even if they were made by mostly by automation, it would still set an example of what we can do here and provide new jobs. What's your take everyone?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Make at least one tool in the USA? All the big companies use to make tools here in the USA. Heck most of my tools are so old that almost all of them were. Remember when Delta, Powermatic and so many more use to make stuff here. I do, the ones I have are the heaviest things you could ever lift in their catagory. I think it would be cool if the big tool makers made a line of American made tools and promote them as just that. Powermatic has their new black tools, imagine if they were also made in the USA. Even if they were made by mostly by automation, it would still set an example of what we can do here and provide new jobs. What's your take everyone?
    Consider the PM 141 14" bandsaw listed for just under $2,000 when it last sold, maybe 1997, the question is can they come to market with something we would actually buy. The new Delta TS is an interesting anomoly though.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Many of them do. However some of them also forced to carry some foreign items in order to stay competitive.

These are all US companies and many of them truly are the best in the world.
    At CarbideProcessors.com
    1. Whiteside Machine Router Bits (most of them)
    2. Woodpeckers
    3. Incra
    4. Southeast Tool router bits (most of them)
    5. Niagara End Mills
    6. SGS Carbide Burs
    7. Vortex router bits
    8. Triumph Twist Drill
    9. World’s Best Saw Blades (Made in Oregon on US machinery – double points.)
    10. Imperial Blades (Oscillating Blades)

We also just went live today with
    Motherbearknives.com
    A. Columbia River Knife and Tool
    B. Leatherman
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Heck most of my tools are so old that almost all of them were.
    Bill,

Do you think that the fact that most of your tools are still functional from when they were made in the US would affect your decision as to whether or not to purchase a new tool? If they still work, have you been putting off purchasing new because the tools you would consider are made from companies with foreign plants?

I know I would have considered buying American and would have focused on that product much more, but only to certain price point. Just getting into woodworking can be an expensive proposition as you start looking at all of the tools one would want. The manufacturers would have to find a way to be somewhat cost competitive, even if they could justify a small premium for being made here.

Good luck with that. US consumers demand low cost above quality except for the small upper end market. Niche companies like Lie Nielsen, Benchcrafted, and Bridge City operate in that world and seem to do well. Large companies need volume and while promoting "made in America" sounds good, it doesn't provide the numbers needed to compete with low cost stuff. I am personally familiar with a small US manufacturer of motorcycle accessories who fight Asian copies and patent infringements daily. The guy who owns the company is an absolute fanatic about quality and his parts all look like jewelry. When he sells or dies it is unlikely that the quality edge will remain sufficient to allow them to charge a premium for the products. The superiority necessary to draw consumers away from price has to be well beyond the upcharge. In the end most get what they want. Cheap stuff that works OK. Dave

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be asking them to make everything, but maybe with automation technology, they could reduce the work force to compete with the imports but still provide jobs. All I would be looking for is a select line of tools to get their feet wet. I buy from over 1/2 the companies listed above and I can tell you, I would put them up against any imported tool of its kind and I bet they would hold their own.

Congratulations Tom, hope it is successful for you. I'll check it out myself.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I could see it now Porter-Cable launches some awesome new product line and priced a bit above the average. Lowes is swamped with potential buyers demanding them to match the HF 50% off coupon.

I should have mentioned two other machine companies one of which I bought from and one of which I plan to buy from for my new shoip.

Woodmaster sanders and planer/molders
    Vega OES and Lathes

Quite frankly you can outfit a shop with all US made new machines but you don't see people buying them, partly because of cost.

If people had the money and/or got off their wallet the options are there but you don't see people flocking to do it.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Vega OES and Lathes
    I've got a vega sander, and it's great. I've also got a sanrite sander. Which is also a fantastic tool.

As for buying US- people talk about it, but they just don't do it. Even used. Just look at the big US made saws that are given away, and people line up to buy asian knockoffs of ancient designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    ...and people line up to buy asian knockoffs of ancient designs.
    Well, it's not like the US manufacturers are innovating. I like seeing the euro machines, not because of where they are made, but because of how technologically advanced they are. Take a look at Northfield Machinery, or General Canada's offerings. That stuff has been virtually unchanged for decades.

I would suggest that the Veritas line of tools from Lee Valley should get honourable mention here despite the fact that it's made in Canada. Some of the individual components are made or machined in the US but the bottom line is that they are made to very high standards, are good value for the money and almost every one of us would love to have them in our shop.

Regards,

Ron

I also forgot to add I use LOTS of US made tooling, I do NOT buy any Asian made tooling ('cept the occasional Japanese piece) if it isn't from the US, Canada or Europe I don't buy it. I also try to buy Veritas when they have a non-powered tool I need. When it comes to tooling and non-popwered tools all one has to do is open the pocket book there are plenty of options.

I would say when people won't even buy US made brad points or forstners I don't know how a company will get them to shell out for the US made press to spin them in. It really comes down to money and if you look at posts here most machine recommendations and purchases end up with the lowest bidder, a company named after a North American animal, namely Ursus arctos horribilis.

That's a good point about tooling. I asked the guy at the Fastenal store about US made nuts, bolts, screws. He told me they sell them but about the only people that pay more for them are the various local government purchasers. They like to use tax money for US stuff even though 1/3 to 1/2 more. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Well, it's not like the US manufacturers are innovating. I like seeing the euro machines, not because of where they are made, but because of how technologically advanced they are. Take a look at Northfield Machinery, or General Canada's offerings. That stuff has been virtually unchanged for decades.
    Dan- this is absolutely true. If you look at the old Fine Woodworking magazines from the 90's, the offerings from delta and powermatic were out of the time machine. This is when minimax was advertising, and Bridgewood was bringing in the Italian bandsaws (I think). Personally, I'm about geared up for my purposes for some time to come, but if I were going to consider a machine, it would almost certainly be european. I have a Felder saw, and I know that Felder is not Martin, but it is smooth as silk compared to the unisaw that it replaced. I also have a little inca saw- equally smooth, on a microscopic scale.

The question in my mind is why would Oliver, Northfield, and even powermatic and delta (I know, different markets) have just stopped in the 1950's? My theory is that the basic machines themselves are largely things of the past as far as industrial use goes. For example, look at irsauctions.com. For every nice jointer and planer, there are several moulders. Not many table saws, but lots of beam saws (whatever they are) and lots of cnc's. I'm pretty sure that the tools that the low production professional, or hobbiest use are a "blast from the past" and worldwide are just sold in very limited numbers.

I was going to mention Vega. They make and have made some fantastic equipment!! I still think their miter gauge they do not sell anymore is a $150 work of art!! Its massive.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.