Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any vintage models of Low Angle Jack planes?

Are there any vintage models of Low Angle Jack planes?

It looks like that's what would work really well for a shooting board and the new ones look pretty pricey...

Yes, but...

A) they're at least as pricey and,

B) they're not as good

My understanding is the the vintage LA Jacks are really more for the collectors, but honestly I'm not a vintage tool expert, so hopefully others will chime in.

Also, a regular Bailey 5, 5 1/2, or 6 (and really about any bench plane) will work quite well on a shooting board, though probably with a hair less ease than a low angle plane.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 02-09-2012 at 12:13 PM.

I have a Stanley #62 that I won in an online auction. It is one of the few metal planes that I enjoy using. Paid $60 for that one and two beat-up #5s. The #5s were sold for $10 each at a MWTCA meet. The mouth on my 62 has a chip (why it went so cheap) and the iron was shot. So, net $40 for the plane, plus another $40 for a replacement IBC iron and it works great on my shooting board. Oh, I had to glue the rear tote back together too. So you can find them, they do work great, but you'll have a hard time finding one at a cheap enough price to make it worth the hassle. I just happened to get really, really lucky.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

The problem with older low angle planes is the strength (or lack of strength) of the material in the body (iron or wood). Older cast iron low angle planes often developed cracks in the body at the back corners of the mouth (on the sides of what would be the frog on higher angle planes). Newer low angle planes use better metal for the body and they're less prone to those cracks.

If you want to go low angle, you're better off with a new low angle plane. The older ones are sought after by collectors so they're priced about the same as a new low angle plane. This is one place that older is definitely not better.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    If you can just bite the bullet and buy an LN #62 or the LV low angle jack you will have a great tool that will last.

I saved my nickels and dimes then sold off a few excess tools to purchase the LN #62. I have not had any regrets.

It works great for shooting. I suffered an injury to my right shoulder many years ago and the #62 has allowed me to shoot end grain without the pain that would come from a lot of shooting with a higher angled plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've got a line on a no 62. If I can get it for a good price, I may try it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    I have a Stanley #62 that I won in an online auction. It is one of the few metal planes that I enjoy using. Paid $60 for that one and two beat-up #5s. The #5s were sold for $10 each at a MWTCA meet. The mouth on my 62 has a chip (why it went so cheap) and the iron was shot. So, net $40 for the plane, plus another $40 for a replacement IBC iron and it works great on my shooting board. Oh, I had to glue the rear tote back together too. So you can find them, they do work great, but you'll have a hard time finding one at a cheap enough price to make it worth the hassle. I just happened to get really, really lucky.

Once I get into that bullet biting mode things ramp up quickly into looking at the LN miter planes...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If you can just bite the bullet and buy an LN #62 or the LV low angle jack you will have a great tool that will last.

I saved my nickels and dimes then sold off a few excess tools to purchase the LN #62. I have not had any regrets.

It works great for shooting. I suffered an injury to my right shoulder many years ago and the #62 has allowed me to shoot end grain without the pain that would come from a lot of shooting with a higher angled plane.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Once I get into that bullet biting mode things ramp up quickly into looking at the LN miter planes...
    Right there with you. Every time I have some extra money I put off buying an LV LA Jack thinking that someday I'll pop for a an LN No. 9 or 51, when I know in my heart I'll most likely end up with an LV LA jack anyway.

Blog Entries
    The #9 was one of my considerations, but the #62 seemed more versatile.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

If I were spending big bucks, i.e. #9 territory, I'd be buying a sweet vintage infill miter plane. I'd give up my 62 and pretty much any other plane I have if I could find one I could reasonably afford...
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Do you just have to luck into one of those or are their actually sellers out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    If I were spending big bucks, i.e. #9 territory, I'd be buying a sweet vintage infill miter plane. I'd give up my 62 and pretty much any other plane I have if I could find one I could reasonably afford...

Do you just have to luck into one of those or are their actually sellers out there?
    Lee Richmond usually has one or two for sale. However, they are usually $1k plus, so a bit out of my range. If I ever saw one in person, less than that, I'd probably spring for it and worry about the cost later. I'm sure the other planes work just as well, but they aren't nearly as cool...
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 02-09-2012 at 4:22 PM.

I love my Veritas low angle jack.

But how big a shooter do you want?

If you don't need it big, then I suggest you look at the Veritas small bevel up smoother, or the low angle smoother (not to be confused with the Bevel Up Smoother - which doesn't have square sides suitable for shooting). My jack is a little too hefty for shooting for my taste.

It looks like that's what would work really well for a shooting board and the new ones look pretty pricey...
    My advice is to leave the antique and vintage LA planes to the collectors. By the time you buy one and make it work you will be in the price range of the Veritas BU Jack Plane. I own one of these and it is my favorite plane. It has the mass you need to get the job done. This is something that the vintage planes lack.
    Bill Rittner
    Hardware City Tools

Blog Entries
    It has the mass you need to get the job done. This is something that the vintage planes lack.
    +1 on this. Mass is very helpful when shooting. I can muscle a light plane through the job. If there is more than one or two pieces to be done, my shoulder lets me know it isn't happy.

Another thing to consider is the longer toe on a jack plane not only helps to register the work, it gives more room to get the plane in motion so the mass helps in the cut.

jtk