Thread: Hickory Trio

Hickory Trio

These pieces came from a Hickory I was cutting up for firewood. The tree had been on the ground for a year. But after I cut into a crotch section and discovered some of the character I thought I better set some aside. Glad I did!

I had to use the Monster on the inside because using the bowl gouge was a struggle. All were finished with Waterlox.

Sizes are approximate: 8 x 4.5, 8 x 3, 6.5 x 3

You can see there is some movement going on since I finished them.

HickoryTriosm.jpg

C & C's appreciated

Nice save!!! That wood is awesome and you did a great job on the bowls.

Beautiful work Bill! Nice variation in shapes and the finish worked well.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Oh wow! Those are outstanding! Love the one in the back with the heartwood running through it and the movement enhanced it...

Thanks for sharing, Bill...nice forms and beautiful wood!

Great work on all three, but I particularly like that large, round bottom piece in the front! Gorgeous wood, too!

Really nice looking bowls and some beautiful wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

what a great save..I've always loved hickory..wowee this is spectacular hickory! grand job
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Hickory is such an awesome looking wood! Way to watch for it and pull it out. Definitely understand the the trouble with a gouge. Seasoned hickory is something serious to deal with. You did very well!

Nice, very nice, I love Hickory but all I every find is dry stuff and I really don't like turning dry concrete.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Thanks much everybody. I have turned everything but bowls the last few months and it was a nice change.

Also, this was the first time I've used Waterlox and I like it. Took about 5 coats to get the finish I was looking for.

And kudos to the Monster, once I got into this Hickory I was convinced that was money well spent!

Very nice bowls Bill. I love Hickory. I can't believe all the wonderful wood I used to burn in the wood stove before I started turning. I quit burning wood, so now I don't come across those beauties. Well done.

Steve

very nice, Bill