Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granite Saw Top. Pros and cons?

Granite Saw Top. Pros and cons?

Good morning all. I'm in the market to upgrade a little and I'm looking at Hybrid saws at $1100 or less. I see the Steel City Granite topped tools and would like to hear from owners (not prognosticators) about their experiences and whether they would recommend granite to a friend.
    Thanx,
    Jim
    Growing older is mandatory.
    Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember; it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Had one. Granite is nice in that you really don't have to worry about it warping but you can't use magnetic jigs. Also, I was constantly worried about chipping the miter slots...eventually sold the saw (for different reasons) and now have a new saw with a cast iron top. They should router the miter slots with a straight channel and insert miter tracks of some kind IMHO.

Not a user, but I saw one of the Ridgid Granite Topped Table Saws in a local HD where the Miter gauge had blown out a chunk in the miter slot. I assume it was extended off the table and something hit the extended end and the levering action caused the break. Other than that, I've always thought Granite was a rock solid idea (pun intended). I would think jointer would be a great application. On things with a miter slot, maybe a step backwards and using a miter bar that just slid and didn't hook (like a homemade slider for a crosscut sled) would be a "better" idea...

I have a Ridgid R4511 granite-top saw. I love it. It's always smooth and slick, and I haven't any trouble with the miter slot chipping. I do treat the miter slot a little more gingerly that I did my other saw, but it's no biggie. Just be mindful of it and act accordingly.

I get the idea of granite on a table saw. Anyone have an explaination for why Steel City puts granite tops on band saws? Shouldn't a smaller surface suffer less from stability issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Not a user, but I saw one of the Ridgid Granite Topped Table Saws in a local HD where the Miter gauge had blown out a chunk in the miter slot. I assume it was extended off the table and something hit the extended end and the levering action caused the break. ...
    I've read that they've switched to a plastic washer on the miter gauge to prevent that...the theory is that the washer will give way instead of the miter. I suspect idiots were doing it on purpose on the floor models to see what would happen....don't recall ever reading about an owner causing that issue.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

R4511 owner for over two years now. LOVE IT. Yes, you have to be careful with the miter slots, particularly at the entrance/exit points. I us an Incra 3kSE, and only ONCE, I was in a "hurry" and lifted the miter gage up too soon and chipped the end of the slot, very slightly, can hardly notice.

Only downsides: Can't use mag jigs, and the top is SUPER HEAVY!! (but heavy can be a good thing too)

The granite is also super easy to clean... I've often used mine as a work surface for glue-ups and such, and clean up is a breeze if you get glue or whatever on the top (usually I cover the top with a sheet or plastic, maybe a scrap piece of plywood, but nothing's perfect).

I would buy a granite saw again with no regrets. If you do get one, 3M makes some pro grade granite care products for cleaning/sealing/polishing the granite (should you ruin the factory finish by using something like a heavy duty citrus cleaner... DAMHIKT!!!)

Haven't posted in a while but I have a Steel City granite topped saw. After a couple of years of using I still like the saw and the granite top. As stated by others, not being able to use magnetic jigs is the big downside. I posted a lengthier review here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post1126898

BTW James... If you didn't know, the Ridgid R4511's where made by the same manufacturing that makes the Steel City Granite Top saws... Orion I believe???

I like my Ridgid R4511. If I were in a situation where other people were going to need to use and or care for my saw, I'd really hesitate to choose granite. If someone tried lifting the saw by the rails, that could end badly. But if you are careful with your tools, it is a great material. When sliding my saw around I always worry a little bit that I'll split the granite, but the wheels work well enough that the force required to move the saw around is minimal. I really like that it can't rust. It will absorb oils and the like; perhaps I should seal the grainte one of these years.

I saw a Craftsman table top jointer a while ago at Sears that had a granite top.

Although I don't own one watching the threads here and on other forums I think if you are mindful of granites weaknesses compared to cast iron you will be fine. Plus you can roll out your baked goods on it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks to all for the replies. I'm definitely leaning closer since Steel City has a nice model on sale for $999. Upsides include extra weight (stability), one piece fence rails, upgraded fence. Downside is price and horsepower. After all the bells and whistles are removed, it's still 1-3/4 HP turning a 10" blade. If I could afford to step up to 3HP, I would but (unlike what a lot of people would have you believe), there aren't many Craig's List deals on saws that size near me. Oh well, the builders called and will be delayed till next week so I'll keep hopping from foot to foot and contemplating...

Not to derail you, but for another $100, you can get a Steel City 3hp cabinet saw. I don't know anything about these, other than seeing one a Woodcraft store a few years ago. Not much of a price increase for a significant step up, though.

Quote Originally Posted by James A. Wolfe View Post
    I could afford to step up to 3HP, I would but (unlike what a lot of people would have you believe), there aren't many Craig's List deals on saws that size near me.
    Best way to find those deals in your area is to buy something elsewhere, then you won't be able to pull out of your driveway without backing over one...

I caved.

After trying unsuccessfully to get the price listed on Steel City's Spring catalog, I caved and ordered the Steel City cabinet saw with a cast iron top. I say caved because I originally wanted to replace a Delta contractor saw that has done a good job for me but was destroyed while in storage so I allotted $500 for its replacement. For a few dollars more, I could step up to a hybrid saw. For a few dollars more, I could upgrade the fence. For a few dollars more... You get the idea. The final choice was only a hundred bucks more than the hybrid and the sweetheart lady on the phone knocked $10 more off for aggravation. Ordered from Tool King so no tax and only $69 shipping. Gave up the mobile base but gained the 3HP motor and 50" fence. Luckily, it's the first tool in my new workshop so I'll put it where ever I want and there she'll stay.
    Jim