Thread: Motor for Davis and Wells 20" Bandsaw

Motor for Davis and Wells 20" Bandsaw

I picked up a 20" Davis and Wells bandsaw last weekend in need of some restoration. I have plenty of single phase power available, but the motor is a Continental 3 hp 3ph (1730 rpm). Since it appears original and I don't have 3 ph power or other tools that could benefit from phase converters, I am looking to replace it with a new motor. The problem I'm having is finding an affordable 3 or 5 hp motor that is single phase with a rigid base plate, is TEFC, and is between 1700-1800 rpm. The baldor motor that seems to fit the bill is model L3609T, but the lowest price I can find is $650 to my door. Leeson has a similar motor, also similarly priced. I checked craigslist and haven't been able to score anything yet. Does anyone know of anything out there less expensive? I found a couple 3450 rpm motors out there, but from what I've been able to research, the torque from the lower speed motors is preferable, even if you change pulley sizes to accomodate the speed. Thanks for any help.

Ebay would be a good start as would the List. Depending on what you are going to do a 2hp motor may be plently and a lot cheaper.
    Don

just one word:

variable frequency drive

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    just one word:

variable frequency drive

I agree 100%, a 3hp single phase in 3 phase out would be under $200. You get the side benefit of soft start, electric braking and variable speed if you ever want to cut metal. It is THE solution for this situation.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    soft start, electric braking .
    THis is particularly important with a high inertia load. Plus, even if you want to change the motor, used 3 phase motors are everywhere, and almost free. If I ever get around to it, I'll convert my agazzani 24 inch saw to 3 phase so that I can use a drive.

VFDs are amazingly flexible, the other thing I forgot to mention is you can wire a remote switch so you can mount the VFD on the wall or otherwise out of the way. This all works well for 3hp and below, once you are above 3hp with only single phase to power the VFD you get into much more expensive drives AND they derate the motor.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

How much air does the VFD need? The thought crossed my mind to install mine in the motor cabinet. Would there be heat issues with both the motor and inverter in such close quarters? Any other concerns?
    When a dog runs at you, whistle for him. - Thoreau