Thread: It's coming...

It's coming...

and part of it has arrived....

On the Jan 31 I ordered a G0513x2f (17" band saw) from Grizzly, some blades and a mobile base. It shipped on Feb 7. When I came home from work 9th, the blades and base had arrived. A check w/ UPS Freight indicates the saw will be delivered next Tues.

I've been waiting on this for a long time - it's going to be a monsterously huge step up from the table top saw I've had for years. I had sold a week of vac time to get it - was looking at getting a drill press as well - but SWMBO decided we needed to pay down on the mortgage - so the other 3 weeks I forecasted to sell will be going towards the house. Might be able to swing a drill press yet, but will have to scale it down a bit for that to happen....

SMC protocols being what they are - i know - no pics, it didn't happen, etc, - so here is a pic of what has happened - more to follow.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats Jim! You'll definitely LOVE that saw I have the Grizzly G0513P and absolutely love it and remember being so excited knowing it was on its way to the workshop! Can't wait to see the pics.

Randy

Theres only one think being better than the anticipation,and thats seeing it setting on the door steps when you drive up.Congrads Jim and keep the pics coming and a pic of the first cut as well----Carroll

Nothing like a new bandsaw!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Updated at long last.....

My saw arrived on Valentines day - late in the afternoon. Made sure I was home by noon, and out in the shop - waiting for a call from the trucking company (had expected it to be "Brown"). The call didn't come before 1pm, so I killed time in the shop, putting together the mobile base I had ordered. Found that there was a corner bracket for the base which was bad - a threaded sleeve for the footpad was cross threaded, and since the threads were metric, I couldn't fix it myself. A quick call to Grizzly had a replacement part on it's way. "A+" to Grizzly for the quick and no-hassle response.

Still no call by 3:30 pm, and I had been told the delivery would occur by 4pm. Attempted to call the trucker - no answer - voice mail. Waited - growing more concerned. Finally at 3.55 pm, the trucker calls. He is a half hour away.

Went over to my neighbors (Steve) - we were going to use his tractor and loader to get the saw off the truck (no lift gate) - as his loader has a larger, deep bucket than that which is on my tractor.

The truck finally arrived (it wasn't "Brown" - they had sub'bed out the delivery), and the doors were opened on the trailer. There, in the front of the trailer, all by its lonesome, stood my saw. I assisted the driver in moving the saw to the trailer door area - as the pallet the saw was mounted on was small enough that both forks of the drivers pallet mover couldn't engage on the pallet.

Steve pulled up to the doors, and rested the bucket against the truck. We moved the pallet in to the loader, Steve backed away from the door, and lowered the bucket to the roadbed. Two rachet straps later, the saw was secured in the bucket, and Steve headed down the road to my shop. Shortly after that - home at last.

GEDC0574.JPG GEDC0582.JPG GEDC0583.JPG

Fast forward to Feb 23. Due to work and other commitments - I was unable to work on the setup of the saw. On the 23rd, I got the saw off the pallet (my tractor handled the lift just fine), and installed on to the mobile base. I had to install a plywood shelf on the base prior to mounting the saw.

GEDC0590.JPG

Saturday night, I got part of the assembly done, and completed it late yesterday. Using the stock blade, I made some test cuts. Here is a piece of ash I plan on putting on the lathe.

GEDC0598.JPG

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Laumann; 02-27-2012 at 4:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Always a good day when a new BS arrives in the shop!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hm. Farm implements. I'd never thought of using farm implements, when new machinery arrives. Course ... being in the urban jungle may be part of that ....

Nice saw ! You suck !!!! Congrats !
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Nice score Jim! Something tells me you'll be in the shop until the weeeeeeeeeeeeee hours of the morning with that new piece of machinery

9. want to really get excited about your new saw? take the stock blade off and put on a good blade. What a difference. Enjoy

Wouldn't hold it against your swmbo, about the other tools, being debt free makes it so you can have a thickness sander. Just a pain right now.