Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawstop opinion needed

You know, Rod, if someone made a slider that was targeted and sized to smalled items, I'd have one in my shop. I would love to have a precision slider that worked with the smaller, guitar sized items that I build all the time.

I'm betting that a lot of folks that aren't building cabinets day in and day out would love to have a small, but very high quality, European slider in their shop. Maybe someone will tap into this market someday. If I had the room, though, I would dump the SS for a slider in a heartbeat. Nothing against the SS. IMHO, it's easily the best non-slider-European saw you can buy. I have to think it's just a matter of time that SS enters the slider market, but as you indicate it's almost redundant as properly using a slider keeps you so far away from the blade as to make the brake irrelevant.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    if someone made a slider that was targeted and sized to smalled items, I'd have one in my shop. I would love to have a precision slider that worked with the smaller, guitar sized items that I build all the time.

I'm betting that a lot of folks that aren't building cabinets day in and day out would love to have a small, but very high quality, European slider in their shop. Maybe someone will tap into this market someday. If I had the room, though, I would dump the SS for a slider in a heartbeat. Nothing against the SS. IMHO, it's easily the best non-slider-European saw you can buy. I have to think it's just a matter of time that SS enters the slider market, but as you indicate it's almost redundant as properly using a slider keeps you so far away from the blade as to make the brake irrelevant.

Just my opinion.
    Inca made a super precise little table saw with a sliding table. I got one of these on craigslist a while ago; small, but extremely well made.

I agree also about the irrelevance of the brake with a slide. Plus, most sliders have a good blade guard/dust collector.

You know, Rod, if someone made a slider that was targeted and sized to smalled items, I'd have one in my shop. I would love to have a precision slider that worked with the smaller, guitar sized items that I build all the time.

Just my opinion.
    John, have you ever looked at the old Hammond Trim Saws? They are very small and really only do one thing, crosscut up to about 18". They were originally used to cut lead type and are great for smaller furniture work. Need some modifying but sell for a few hundred. I use it with a larger slider and would not give it up. Dave

Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance regarding sliders (I've never used one; I've only watched the videos on the Felder/Hammer site), but if I need to rip a couple 0.5" strips off a board that is 1.5" wide and 4 feet long, how would the slider be safer than, say, a Unisaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Rowland View Post
    Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance regarding sliders (I've never used one; I've only watched the videos on the Felder/Hammer site), but if I need to rip a couple 0.5" strips off a board that is 1.5" wide and 4 feet long, how would the slider be safer than, say, a Unisaw?
    If your Unisaw had the Unifence, and you wanted to rip using the fence, aside from the guard/riving knife issue it wouldn't be.

Now if you had a non Unifence saw then the multi-function fence on the slider is safer.

You can also rip with the slider, although getting 2 pieces out of the piece you posted about wouldn't be possible using the slider. However if you can use the slider your fingers are feet away from the blade.

The other option of course with the Euro saws is the feeder, flip the feeder up into position and you don;t need to feed small rips at all by hand.

Obviously there will always be exceptions, however the slider is much safer for many operations.

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 02-13-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Rod - Thanks for the clarification. Clearly the slider is safer for many operations, but not all. I suppose I'll have to wait until the rumoured Sawstop Slider arrives...

Thank you all for your input in helping with my decision. I went with the 3hp professional Saw Stop, gas assist mobile base, overhead dust collection (free right now), the larger 52" T- fence and the 80 tooth blade for melamine, dado break, and outfeed table...
    I figured the $1500 difference to the 5hp industrial could go towards my Robust American Beauty!

Ahem.

WOO-HOOOOoooooo !

Pics and thoughts, as soon as you're up and running, y'hear ?
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Just my opinion.
    John,

The you've just described the Hegner MK4....kind of.

nedyoung-albums-post-support-picture4030-hegner-accura-mk-4.jpg

I upgraded from the Ridgid contractor saw to the Saw Stop Professional saw and haven't regretted it. I think that you'll love it.

Enjoy it.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    John,

Okay, now THAT'S cool.

12. Congrats!

You will love your new saw. I have the 5hp ICS. Definitely more saw than I'll ever need, but I can say that it's a joy to use I'm sure you will get just as great results with your new PCS.

Despite all the political rub with sawstop, they definitely make a killer saw... I was initially going to go with a grizzly, but the lady of the house was pretty insistent that I keep all phalanges in tact. (My career would suffer greatly if I lost fingers).

I had a unisaw for 15 years - never had a problem, but this january got the ss 3hp professional cabinet saw - am very impressed with the machine - the tooling is great - setup was detailed & accurate - cuts are spot on with just a few minor adjustments - and they say it will save a finger - you 'll like the saw.
    jerry
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    John,

So I just looked at it. It would be worth considering if it was a real slider, but it's just a small table saw with a sliding table attached to it. A real slider is practically zero clearance to the blade. I think at some point I will break down and replace my table saw and jointer/planer with the smallest combo machine I can find. I really need a shaper anyway, so that makes sense to me. May even free up some room, actually.