Thread: Delta 46-460 Problem

Delta 46-460 Problem

My lathe has quit going in forward. Reverse is working fine. When you turn the switch off, It turns just a tad then stops. It doesn't make any noise when you turn it to forward and turn the switch on. Anyone know of what might be the problem.
    Last edited by Thomas Heck; 02-12-2012 at 12:18 PM.

I had one quit going in reverse for a few days once in the shop I teach high school students at. I didn't even try to figure out why since it was working in forward. A few days later it started working in reverse again any way. I would have to guess that it is in the switch that changes direction. I had to replace this switch on my OneWay not two weeks after I bought it. I would check the connections to the switch first and try blowing it out with an air hose if possible.
    Good Luck,
    Jack

I went out and vacuumed it off. And somehow, it started back. NOt sure what the problem was, but it works now.

4. I had the very same problem on mine. I told Delta it was the switch, but they wanted me to bring it in. I told them about how I knew it was the switch because of "Creekers" .
    They relented and gave me a switch and all is good. Hail to the power of the forum.

This is really quite common with Delta, and usually using compressed air to blow out the switch works - or at least did the dozen or so times I did it!!

This is not an unusual problem with switches on many different brands of lathes. Been there, done that with compressed air.

Thomas - I used to have that problem every once in a while but since I started vacuuming the on/off switches as part of regular shop cleanup - haven't had a problem.

For those interested ... a 'regular' shop cleanup takes place immediately after I finish turning something.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have had that problem a couple times on both of my Delta Lathes. A little compressed air cleared up the problem.

You could always turn the lathe around and learn to work left handed...
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks for all the replies. Just thankful it started working again.