Thread: Fastcap tape measures.

Fastcap tape measures.

I know these have been covered before but I just finally got around to getting a flat back 16 footer and it is easily the best 8 dollars I have ever spent in my life. The pencil sharpener is great the side that you can right on is great and this thing makes it so easy to make really accurate marks that you just can't do with a regular tape. The dummy readings in 16/ths really helps me out. My only complaint and it is a minor one is I wish that it was top and bottom american since I have no clue what the metric system is and have no use for it. http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/200...FUcCQAodCUgAKA

Check this link, standard only...
    http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?s...lerid=21200627

I bought my first several years ago when building a curved reception desk for local "Y".

I like them enough to have 3. Very well thought out tool.

Cant really get Fast Cap stuff up in Canada.. Its sold through wholesalers who deal with Cabinet shops.. Almost zero retail presence at all up here..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Frye View Post

Darnit Rick, now I am going to have to get one of those to.

I like the crisp, fine lines on the scale. Maybe they have improved in the last couple of years, but I found that the hook bent very easily, so a few drops and they were done.
    JR

One of the guys on the Felder group bought a bunch of measures from different companies and found the Fastcap to be one of the most consistent- of the several he could afford to test. Dave

Metric is very difficult to understand; all things are measured on a basis of 10. Hence, 1 x 10 = 10, 1/2 of 10 is 5, 4 x 10 = 40, etc. About 10 minutes of using metric should bring you right up to speed.
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Cant really get Fast Cap stuff up in Canada.. Its sold through wholesalers who deal with Cabinet shops.. Almost zero retail presence at all up here..
    Can you order online?

Craig McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Duffy View Post
    Metric is very difficult to understand; all things are measured on a basis of 10. Hence, 1 x 10 = 10, 1/2 of 10 is 5, 4 x 10 = 40, etc. About 10 minutes of using metric should bring you right up to speed.
    4 X 10 = 40 using imperial measurement too, I think.

I haven't done any testing to know that they are dead on accurate, but all the different types of Fastcaps I have are all identical to each other, so as long as I stay with them, I don't really care if the 7/8" marks are actually 7/8" or not <g>. The erasable scratch pad on them is a major time saver. Saves me untold trips back and forth because I forget a measurement or trying to find my notepad after I set it down. My favorite is the Lefty/Righty, I have two of those just in case I set one down in an odd place. I have the yellow one, can't recall it's cute name, just in case I do need a metric scale (and because I needed a tape measure to take with me to the lumber yard and Woodcraft was out of the green ones <g>). The orange one I think is called the story board, in addition to the erasable side panel, the tape itself is actually erasable and has a blank strip for marking measurements like..you guessed it, a story board. Plus this story board rolls back up and slip into your apron pocket! I had been buying the Fastcap safety glasses, but I noticed the last ones I bought were much less substantial and broke on me. Hoping that this reduction in quality doesn't bleed over to their other products!

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Duffy View Post
    1X10=10.....lol

I love their tape measures and use them exclusively. I have a few others, but my kids play with them mostly. I do keep one of my craftsman around because it is small and easy to carry around, but it is far from my first choice.

For whatever reason, I have trouble reading 16ths on all my other measures. You would think that after more than 40 years I would have figured it out..... Nope! No problems with these guys, however.

I haven't checked but I hope they have a 12 footer. I really like to keep a 12 footer in my shop because nothing I am doing woodworking wise is ever over ten and usually is less then 6. The whom reason I bought this one is because I happen notice the hook rivets were going on my dedicated shop 12 footer and giving me short measurements. I like the idea of having a dedicated pull tape measure since this is 99 percent of what I use one for.