Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Workbench: Slabs or boards?

If there's any cup, you're more apt to get thicker stock in the end if you rip it to width first before planing. Jointing I'm not sure if it matters, but I suppose you'd want to plane first and then joint?

Of course, that depends on how you plan on ripping it and if you can safely rip to width while the stock is in the rough. ( i have no idea what's safe if you're using a tablesaw since I don't have / use one. I've always ripped by hand or with a bandsaw since that's what I've had access to. )
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I have a Sawstop cabinet saw. I am thinking it would be easier if I rip out the quarter sawn sections from the wide boards before starting the joint and plane. I think I should be able to get enough QS pieces for a good top - but I have not decided on total width yet. Currently, I plan to follow the plans of the split Roubo that Woodwhisperer has on his site.