Thread: Help needed setting up DJ-20 Jointer

Help needed setting up DJ-20 Jointer

I am setting up the jointer everything seems good ,the only problem I have is that the infeed table is too close to the knives. If I spin it by hand the knives just brush against the infeed table. I adjusted the set screws which control the vertical travel of the infeed table but this did not give me the room that I needed. What I need is to be able to move it back 1/8 to 1/4" any ideas what to do? Thanks Rick

I can't help you on the setup as I don't have mine, YET. I am suprised no one here has a suggestion. If you don't get a reply today, I would call up Delta for support.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Just a thought Rick.......are the knifes touching the table or the chip deflector?

How far are your knives sticking out of the cutterhead?

The bevel on the back of the knife should be flush with the round of the cutterhead, not sticking out any more or less.

Let us know...

David.

Adjusting the infeed table up or down on the DJ20 isn't going to help...the parallelogram design (a key feature of this machine) keeps the table the exact same distance from the cutterhead no matter what the depth adjustment. (Unless there is some special adjustment to move the whole assembly that I don't know about) I believe you'll need to readjust the knives slightly lower in the cutter head all around. But keeping that gap tight is a good thing relative to quality of cut since it supports the board right up to the knife.

Once you adjust your knives, you'll need to readjust the outfeed table to proper height relative to the knives...which for me is always dead even.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisan
    How far are your knives sticking out of the cutterhead?

The bevel on the back of the knife should be flush with the round of the cutterhead, not sticking out any more or less.

Let us know...

David.
    Hi David, yes the bevel is flush with the round of the cutterhead.I have everything set up dead on, all I need is to move it a touch to the right for clearance. When the infeed table is at the lowest position I have a clearance of 1/64". But when it is in the highest position it just catches the edge of the infeed table. What would be the reccomended clearance between knives and infeed table?....Thanks Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Adjusting the infeed table up or down on the DJ20 isn't going to help...the parallelogram design (a key feature of this machine) keeps the table the exact same distance from the cutterhead no matter what the depth adjustment. (Unless there is some special adjustment to move the whole assembly that I don't know about) I believe you'll need to readjust the knives slightly lower in the cutter head all around. But keeping that gap tight is a good thing relative to quality of cut since it supports the board right up to the knife.

Once you adjust your knives, you'll need to readjust the outfeed table to proper height relative to the knives...which for me is always dead even.
    Thanks Jim . How much clearance do you have on yours?...Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith
    Just a thought Rick.......are the knifes touching the table or the chip deflector?
    Hi Brent ,If you mean the curved end part of the infeed table , parallel to the knives then yes thanks...Rick

There are several models of the DJ-20. On some models the chip deflector is a separate piece attached with 3 studs.It is possible that yours is slightly mis-alighned.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith
    There are several models of the DJ-20. On some models the chip deflector is a separate piece attached with 3 studs.It is possible that yours is slightly mis-alighned.
    Hi Brent, its not out of alignment ,it is flush with the end of the infeed table.I'll probably give Delta a call tomorrow......Thanks Brent...Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier
    I can't help you on the setup as I don't have mine, YET. I am suprised no one here has a suggestion. If you don't get a reply today, I would call up Delta for support.
    Hey Jeff, I will tomorrow,let you know what I find out...Rick

This information may help. I tells how to set up that machine. I have one and love it.

CPeter

http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=144&p=4462
    Last edited by CPeter James; 03-21-2005 at 8:10 AM.

Thanks!That is a great link....I alo have the Dj20 and no problems.....It is very dependable and accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James
    Thyis information may help. I tells how to swet up that machine. I have one and love it.

CPeter

http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=144&p=4462
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Also check motor mount

Check the motor mount. I know of two that were installed backwards. They are almost, but not quite symmetrical and if installed backwards, the motor pulley hangs off the end of the motor shaft and will cause it to wear in the bore and then vibrate.

CPeter