Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urn

Urn

We just got back from my wife's brothers services. I was called at the last minute because the family decided to have me turn a burial urn. There was no way to do it with green wood so decided to make a staved piece out of kiln dried 1 X walnut. They called me to ask on Sunday the 5th and the service was Saturday the 11th. So this one was quick but made with a lot of thought and love. It is walnut. The inside diameter is 7 1/4" and it is 8" tall. Probably could have went slightly smaller but didn't want to take a chance since we were driving 200 miles. Anyway it has a lacquer finish after being sanded to 600 grit and I burned a band on the top and bottom. The other problem I had is I had no wood that would take threads well and definitely the walnut wouldn't. So improvised and use pvc threads. Wish I had went with black abs now. I wish I would have had more time but they thought it was brilliant and all loved the piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

well done.....

Nice thing to do for your BIL, I'm sure the family appreciated it.
    Fred

Bernie
    Sorry you had to do this, but it did come out very nice for the last minute. I'm sure the family will all love what you did for him.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Bernie. First I am sorry for your loss. I can't think of a nicer place to spend eternity. Well done sir.

Steve

What a nice project and a beautiful making it. Looks really nice and I'm sure they're gonna love it! Well done!

Good job Bernie. Some products with the gloss work, some don't. This one does. You are right, the black abs would have less contrast. It seems to be potatoe - poetato when I make Urns whether to make them with threads. I make them both ways, it doesn't seem to me that it makes much difference to the client; it can be permanently glued either way.

Making urns for folks you love is such a roller coaster. After the urn is done and "occupied" I feel great that I was able to express how they impacted my life. While I am making the urn I am full of thoughts which break over me in waves. Such a strange thing we, as woodturners, are able to do for loved ones.

I am currently working on an urn for my BIL. I have always smiled and had a great time when I was able to spend time with him and I am sad that he will be leaving us.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Nice work, Bernie, and I am glad the family thought enough of you to ask you to do this. It turned out quite nice.

Great work Bernie, an honor albeit a sad one.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Thanks to all. It was a honor now that it is done but like Richard said while turning it the emotions were just up and down. My favorite thought was fly fishing with him in the Colorado mountains especially the time he fell in the river because he hated losing a fish. What great times.

Dan I think from now on I will use ABS on dark wood and maybe the PVC on the lighter woods. I was concerned about it but both of my wife's brothers said it looked fine. It willed be closed and never opened again.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie --- I think you did an excellent job, especially in view of the little time you had for it. I'm sure that as difficult as it may be at times while working on it, it must help with the grieving process in the long run.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thanks Dan. Yes it does help and the wife thought it was nice we could supply his final resting place for him.
    Bernie

Sorry for your loss Bernie. Your family made a good choice in giving you the honor of making his final resting place. I'm glad you were able to complete with such short notice. You should be proud & honored.

Nothing I can add here that hasn't been said, Bernie - great job & great tribute.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2