Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ClearVue Owners. Got some questions.

ClearVue Owners. Got some questions.

Anyone ever mount one free standing (not against a wall)? I have limited wall space so if I can't squeeze it in I will have to come up with a stable stand for it. I am A little concerned about this. I don't want it tipping over or vibrating around.

Also, is the Leeson motor that they sell made in the US? I asked them and I think they said yes. I want to confirm though because I am not sure if they meant it is a US company that makes the motor or if the motor is actually made in the US. I know Leeson sells motors from Asia as well as US made ones.....

Finally, any info to help push me over the edge to purchasing one? I keep going back and forth between the 3hp Dust Gorilla and the Clearvue CV1800. Tough choice!

Thanks.

Fair question and I would pin them down. Ask for the plate efficiency numbers and FLA and compare. The Baldor is a better motor and more expensive but it is a close call. I'm not sure you are comparing equivalent systems though. the 5 hp Oneida is going to produce roughly the same cfm as the clearvue. The clearvue comes with more filter area. the main difference between the Gorilla and Pro systems is the amount of filter area. the more the better assuming the filtration is equal. If you use 6" mains the 3or 5 may deliver the same as the pipe resistence limits the motor. If you use 7" you for sure will benefit from the 5. Dave

clearvuecyclones.com/Bullentin/attachment.php?attachmentid=395&d=1315169337

The above link to shows a free standing CV1800 cyclone stand that someone built.

Have you considered mounting the mounting board directly to the joists in your ceiling above your shop (using isolator brackets). Cheap, no additional construction and because the cyclone weighs less that 100 lbs there will be no strain on the joists. I did mine that way and it worked out fine. I have no vibration. You can't do that with an Oneida because of the weight.

P.S> I love my Clearvue.

My Leeson was made in the USA

Paul

Cool. Thanks for the info guys! Clearvue is still in the lead.

+1 for Paul's post. You definitely can get creative with mounting. I for one mounted mine at ceiling height which is just under 14'. I also ran my filters about 18' away using flex HVAC which was to help reduce noise but it is also useful if you can't bunch everything up together.
    Im sure you can tell, but I'm with Paul, I really love my CV and my motor was also made in USA.

Good luck in your decision. They're both good choices. I just think the CV was better (for me).

Nick

I mounted my Clearvue freestanding. The top of the motor is about 10-11 feet above the floor.

http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...Max/reprosser/

It does not move around on the floor at all.

More great ideas! Thanks. I am definitely getting the clearvue. Thanks everyone.

Brian, if you go with the clearvue have you considered talking to them about the Max cyclone vs the regular one. Looks like the price is higher but the only difference is the 8" inlet vs the 6" Given that the motor is the same and the 15" impeller will likely handle a larger main, I would try to negotiate for the larger cyclone to hedge my bets in case I later needed more CFM or as stated in another post, have the ability to run a piece of 8" with a drop that could be left open to serve as an air cleaner before converting to a smaller main. If three years from now you decide on a drum sander, larger planer etc, you don't have to swap out the cyclone to increase the capacity of the system. Even a fan swap isn't that expensive if the housing will fit. If you plan on metal pipe a 7" main will greatly add to the cfm of the 1800 series provided the inlet is 8". Dave

I built a stand for mine. I used 4X4 Douglas Fir for a three sided U shaped base. Three 2X4's at the back going up 10', and two 2X4 braces to the front to keep it from collapsing. See this thread for some pictures: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...dow+shop+rehab Start with post #49. Hope this helps. Oh, and you won't regret the Clear Vue. And I'm sure my Leeson motor is made in the USA. Doubt that they have changed that. You can go here to where the motors are purchased from and email them to clarify: http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/120554.htm Jim.

edit: Oh, and after supper I'll send you two PMs that detailed what I used in setting mine up. Don't go get it until you see what comes with the current units. When I bought mine, I had to order the motor separately, and those that were using filters had to order them separately also. So things might have changed a little. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 02-15-2012 at 8:33 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I recently picked up a used dust gorilla. If you had asked me before I bought it the clearvue was in the lead. But after getting a look at the inside of my dust gorilla I am happy with my decision.

The Oneida has a better impeller then the clearvue. Combined with the heavy guage steel I am pretty sure the dust gorilla is much quieter then the clearvue. It seems quiter then my old single stage grizzly. If noise doesn't matter to you the clearvue should provide more airflow. Note though with a good 6" pipe layout the dust gorilla should be sufficient.
    Salem

My clearvue is setup in a basement shop. I made a closet for it which is also the stand, basically it's a frame that is enclosed all around and sound-insulated (see the pictures below).
    The exhaust is from the top to cool down the motor.

cyc1.jpgcyc2.jpgcyc3.jpgcyc5.jpg

David, the Max has a 16" impeller.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    David, the Max has a 16" impeller.
    Chris, my point was that I would buy the cyclone designed for the max even if I bought the regular 1800. The 8" intake can be reduced down- or not- and still serve with the 15" impeller. If needs changed the larger impeller is easier to swap out than the entire system for a fairly small upcharge upfront. Dave

One advantage of the CV Max 16in impeller used on a system that doesn't need all the puff may be the option to reduce the rpm using a VFD to reduce noise - even a few 100 rpm is noticeable.

Here's another much less standard Pentz/CV layout that locates the the cyclone inlet at header height (you can see the header heading off between the joists in the shop outside), parks the noisy bits in the loft upstairs, and leaves lots of room for the chip drum underneath.

The soft mount (the pad is polyethylene packaging foam, the lag bolts are sleeved with gas hose with rubber washers under the heads) took a noticeable amount of noise out even though it had all seemed very smooth and to not be transmitting vibration into the floor. The installation seems to work well:

cyclone in situ .jpgcyclone assembled in mounting .jpgblower exh silencer & return to filter cabinet.jpg35 gal dust drum & drop from cyclone.jpg4 view.jpgsoft mounting.jpg

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 02-17-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    One advantage of the CV Max 16in impeller used on a system that doesn't need all the puff may be the option to reduce the rpm using a VFD to reduce noise - a few 100 rpm is noticeable.
    Most of the Max's in Oz run at 2850 and at least three of them are in commercial workshops, no one complains about the lack of performance. One other is run at 3450 and will utilises a VFD to run faster if the need is there. Bill P recommends no faster than 4000rpm but my gut feeling is the efficiency will fall away before it gets that high. If I get a chance over the weekend I will wind my 1800 up to 4k and see if it blows up or increases/loses efficiency.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening