Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandblasted & Dyed Red Oak HF

Sandblasted & Dyed Red Oak HF

This is my second attempt at sandblasting followed by the use of dye. Black transtint sanded back, then followed by green transtint in DNA.
    Because it was turned green to finish, it is no longer round. 6”h x 4 ¼ to just under 5 depending on which way you measure. Finished with Bush Oil.
    2-15-12 Sandblasted Red Oak #2 Green r.jpg2-15-12 Sandblasted Red Oak #2 green r2.jpg

Comments and critiques are always welcome and appreciated.

very good look. very rustic. I have researched sandblasting & found it needed a huge compressor..& very expensive they are!! What size do you use?
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Does the sandblasting make those lines by wearing away growth rings? very cool looking piece )

Great dimension/depth and coloring Baxter...very well done!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Next comes liming wax to accentuate the rings????

Looks like you have it figured out. This one looks good. It sure gives the oak a different feel. Doubt anyone cares if it is round or not. You did well Baxter.

Baxter, you are going to change my opinion on turning oak!! Great piece - the color is really nice, and I don't usually care for green.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Baxter, you are going to change my opinion on turning oak!! Great piece - the color is really nice, and I don't usually care for green.
    That's kind of a scary proposition too John...seems everyone always has a fallen or taken down oak ... and it's been one we can say "no thanks" to most of the time. Dang that Baxter!!! Ok...we can be strong and resist the urge!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Baxter you inspire me every time I see what you've done with oak, thanks for sharing!

Really nice shape and I love the textural effect of the blasting. Color... I'm a little red-green color blind, so it looks grey to me.
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

very nice, always like oak, a good look that 2nd photo

Great shape and love the oak . Thought it was a friend of mine when I saw the Oak and shape. His name is Andy Dipierto. Also uses a lot of oak and dye.
    You did a great job on the Hollow Form! G

That's a beauty! The shape, the coloring and the rustic look are classic.

I am new here so bear with me if I break any rules. Beautiful hollow form with great porportions. I have a comment about Michelle Riches reply.Sandblasting does take a lot of CFM from a compressor After replacing one I read about a sandblastig attachment for a pressure washer.Cost around $100. I tried one and its amazing . works very well and easy to control. It doesadd water to the wood but mostly on the surface. You can blast completly through if you wnt,makes a mess

That is awesome. I think the green over black dye is better than the yellow over black bowls that I did. Beautiful form and the sandblasting just adds to it all. This is really a keeper.
    Member Illiana Woodturners