Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitchen Cabinet Question

Gentlemen - The OP's original question was what do you use. Everybody has materials they like and materials they don't like. It is fine to point out the disadvantages to each material, but we have to keep in mind these materials were all developed for a purpose and they all work very well in those systems. Melamine is an excellent material for Euro-style cabinets. Shop birch plywood is an excellent material for stain grade cabinets and it is my opinion that MDF makes a great paint grade cabinet. Even particle board has its place. It is a great sub straight for laminate tops. This is my opinion and knowledge of the materials based on 50+ years of cabinet making experience. I will freely share my experiences and knowledge with anybody that wants it and if you read Sam;s post #26, in his last paragraph, that's pretty much how I feel too.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

this debate reminds me of the arguments that'd keep us up til 2 am in the morning back when i was a college student: mac vs pc! in the end, does it really matter as long as you're making sawdust?

Frank - Spot on about making sawdust. And in case you're still taking votes, PC.
    Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    this debate reminds me of the arguments that'd keep us up til 2 am in the morning back when i was a college student: mac vs pc! in the end, does it really matter as long as you're making sawdust?
    Your're right Frank and I'm bowing out of the debate. Sometimes there are good bits of information is a debate.
    Last edited by Richard McComas; 02-18-2012 at 2:47 PM.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    Frank - Spot on about making sawdust. And in case you're still taking votes, PC.
    lol john... now let's go build something gentleman... or just go buy another tool!

Frank - There's a few people that would like my wife to kill me but I didn't think you were one of them yet. Buy another tool? That would get me killed.
    Thanks John

...only if she finds out!

Frank - When I used to go to gun shows and I wanted to buy a new gun I'd carry an empty case out in the morning She'd think I was taking a gun with me to sell and I'd bring a new gun home that night. An empty drill case might work jiust as well. :-)
    Thanks John

I build kitchens full time but being retired I do 4 to 6 kitchens a year. I use 3/4 maple for my boxes and the same for the back. I realize 3/4 is overkill for a back but the price difference is very little and it saves me stocking 1/2 in. material. I only use domestic material with a veneer core. I build a Euro style cabinet and do my own spraying of the boxes. I have an Kremlin air assist system and it takes no time to spray the boxes.I attach my backs with screws to the back edge of the boxes. It works quite well on the uppers as the inside of my uppers are a full 12 inches deep. At the end of an exposed run I apply a panel to match the doors. When attaching the backs I put a type 17 assembly screw every 6 inches. I use 2 in screws. I realize 12 inches is a standard depth of upper but the extra 3/4 in has not caused me any problems. My bases also have the back attached in the same manner but I maintain the 24 inch depth which is standard. This avoids any problem with counter tops as they are manufactured for a 24 in base. I have found that clients prefer the maple for the cabinets over the melamine as most say " it looks nicer". I do charge a premium for the maple and I must admit it is a lot easier to handle as I am a one man shop.

Brian

in the end, does it really matter as long as you're making sawdust?
    GLUE DUST if you are cutting melamine! LOL... I couldn't resist!

LOL... but plywood has glue in it too, doesn't it?

LOL... but plywood has glue in it too, doesn't it?
    I think we can classify the stuff holding plywood together as glue. The stuff holding melamine together is probably in a class all by itself.