Thread: Anyone cut soapstone with a CNC.

Anyone cut soapstone with a CNC.

I have a project that is crying to be made from soap stone. Just looking for some input. What kinds of bits and speeds.

I've not cut any stone, but I know that lots of folks use a CNC with diamond tooling (and lots of water) to cut granite.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

3. http://www.phillysoapstone.com/diy.htm

Talks about routing an edge on soapstone with carbide bits. I'd experiment with a hand held or router table mounted router first and see what the results look like.

Soapstone machines pretty well with conventional carbide tooling (it's talc!). I've fabricated a couple kitchen counters with it using conventional hand tools and tooling - diamond circular saw blade and hole saws, carbide spirals and roundover bits. You basically treat it like solid surface : multiple passes, slowish feed rate, it's tough on cutters but that's to be expected.

CNC really depends on what your doing with it, but I would think feed rates suggested for aluminum would be appropriate. We recently engraved a map of Detroit into a sheet of slate using cheap chinese carbide PCB engraving bits, used a vortex chilled which really extended the tool life, feed rates were pretty slow (200 IPM?) but then slate is a lot harder than soapstone.

slate map.jpg

Blog Entries
    Kevin,

How did you like the vortex cooler? I thought about getting one a year or two back, but the air requirements couldn't be handled by my compressor at the time.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Stock answer from wood turners when someone asks how to turn Alabaster and Soapstone - "On your friend's lathe".

It's dusty and very abrasive. It'll wipe out bearings if you're not careful... Of course I'm sure you knew that.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I've cut 3d reliefs in it with a solid carbide 4-flute. it's a mess, but cuts. Fast, shallow cuts (0.01) at 240ipm is what worked best for me.

soap1.jpg
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

What diameter was your bit? In fact what bit did you use? Do you have a part number?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim - just a 4-flute 1/4" solid carbide stub length ball nose endmill cheap as i could find bit off of ebay. I am pretty sure this is the seller "thecrownattitiude" like item #

oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!