Thread: Hackberry with Turquoise

Hackberry with Turquoise

Some of the thinner pieces I roughed out a while back before I got my new lathe are starting to be ready to finish. I ordered some turquoise to try out band inlay and perhaps some inlays for my boxes (flatwork). This particular one had some odd colors appear as it dried that turned out to be pretty deep. I just went with it. Sanded out, buffed with red and white then some ren wax. Camera wasn't picking up the low satin sheen, so it almost looks like nothing is there. It is though.

Sweet! Bigger band next time!? So how about some dimensions?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Possibly, I just eyeballed center and then enlarged it till it "felt right". I don't usually measure unless it's a huge bowl but this is one is about 7" aroundish by 4" deepish. It was claimed about 6 seconds after I finished sanding and was walking into the house with it in hand to grab the Ren wax. Someone happened to be stopping by with another person in tow wanting a tour of my disaster area. AKA shop. Trouble is I have no idea what to charge for bowls and things yet. Pens I've pretty much nailed down what I'm comfortable with but this is sort of...Slower and more involved.

That looks like a $100 bowl to me!
    Last edited by Jamie Donaldson; 02-16-2012 at 7:54 PM.

Turquoise inlays don't always impress me but I like this one jeremy. I think it is a great accent to the somewhat bland color of the hackberry and matches the grain in the bowl.

Really nice Jeremy. I would have made the band slightly wider but still looks great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I need all I can get. I'm trying to cram several years of experience in a considerably smaller window. Also, thanks for the appraisal Jamie, even if you did demote me later

Jeremy- I don't know your location, and that has a lot to do with pricing for a market. I wish all SMC participants would give a location in their posting info. The size was somewhat smaller than I first noticed, and that was also a consideration in my pricing.

It's North Central Arkansas, but even your amended quote is a few dollars higher than my guesstimate. I'm slowly being forced to move on from my current occupation because of economic pressures (mostly) and since I'm self motivated and have a pretty good drive most of the time, coupled with modest monetary requirements I'm hoping to make woodworking/woodturning my main occupation in the next few years. I also have a love for photography, but sold most of my gear a few years back to better outfit the shop. I have an as of yet unexplored curiosity about lapidary and stained glass that I'm hoping to incorporate (eventually) with the woodworking. I really do appreciate it, many won't hazard an answer to these questions. Like me, when people ask to buy my stuff.

Jeremy, IMO pricing is the most difficult task of turning and selling! I sell my work through galleries, with very few pieces sold individually. I do think those locations will gain a higher price, albeit with a steep commission.

Even though I net less money, there are intangibles to selling through a gallery. Significantly more folks see your work, become familiar with your name, and your work takes on more of an "art" character vs. just a bowl. It also will be seen as "worth more" because of the price, the location, and the surroundings. Hopefully, those intangibles will gradually lead to a demand for your work.

Not everyone feels this way, and many folks enjoy the experience of setting up in a craft fair, etc. and selling direct to the buyers. For me, that takes too much time away from turning and other activities I may do on weekends, and there is considerable expense involved that may or may not be recovered by sales.

That said, I have found that even in my geographic area, pricing still varies based on the "traffic draw" of the gallery. I don't turn many bowls, but I have sold 4 bowls through one location with prices ranging from $125 - $275. None of those had inlay, though a couple of them were dyed and figured wood. On the other hand, I have a few bowls in another location, similarly priced, and they do not move as well.

I wish you the best of luck in your anticipated changes - it should be fun and rewarding in ways other than financially, but, hopefully, financially, as well.

Can you tell me how easy it is to turn the Turquoise? Am I right in thinking they're large chip sized pieces glued in place, then turned smooth to the profile? I'm a bit concerned over turning stones...

I tried it with a Crown Pro PM and basically nothing happened. Touched it to the band, a few clunking noises and that was it. So I sanded it back with regular sandpaper. If I end up doing many of these I'll be trying some of that expensive diamond paper. If it actually lasts it might be worth it. Also yes, small pieces made from slightly larger pieces with a hammer and steel plate. Also pounded some into a finer, gun powder like grit to fill in between the bigger pieces.

Thanks for the info John, our locations are pretty similar. I usually work in TN just a few miles from the Kentucky border from spring into the beginning of fall as well.