Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy a vintage divider?

Where to buy a vintage divider?

Aside from eBay, who is a good vintage tool dealer that might have some old dividers for sale?

Thx

Your best bet, (given his proximity to Athol Mass, home of Starrett) is Walt Q. at Brass City Records.

Bruno,
    Drive down to Pittsboro (about 30 minutes south of Raleigh), and visit Ed Lebetkin. He operates the vintage tool store on the second floor of Roy Underhill's Woodwright's School. I'm enclosing Ed's contact info, as the store is not always open, but he provided a schedule for February & March. Get on his email list to get updates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
    Below is a list of upcoming classes at The Woodwright’s School and the Tool Store schedule. Also, attached is a PDF file with brief descriptions of all our 2012 class offerings. This is convenient for you to print so you can plan for the year. As always, there is new inventory in the store and more arriving all the time. http://www.woodwrightschool.com/

Sat – Sun Jan 28-29 10-5 Mary May’s Intro to carving, new class
    Sat Feb 11 10-5 Roy’s Planes for Joinery class, new this year
    Sun Feb 12 10-5 Roy’s Dovetail class
    Sat Feb 18 10-5 No class, store will be open
    Sun Feb 19 Peter’s Name stamp class will be at his forge, the store will be closed
    Mon-Fri Feb 20-24 noon-5 Chris Schwarz’s Anarchist Tool Chest class
    Sat-Sun Feb 25-26 10-5 Bill and Roy’s Restoring wooden planes, new class this year, see note below about the class
    Sat-Sun Feb 25-26 10-5 Peter’s Chest Hinge class at his forge
    Sat Mar 3 10-5 Roy’s Dovetail class
    Mon-Fri Mar 5-9 noon-5 Roy’s Benchwork class
    Sat Mar 10 10-5 Tom Calisto’s Compound dovetail class, new class this year
    Sat Mar 17 10-5 Roy’s Roubo Bookstand class
    Sun Mar 18 10-5 Bill’s Edge tool sharpening class
    Fri-Sun Mar 23-25 10-5 Bill’s Panel raising plane class, Friday store open afternoon only
    Sat Mar 31 10-5 Bill’s Handplane skills class

A note from Bill about the Restoring Wooden Planes Workshop:
    I am looking forward to this workshop. This is a new one for me, but one which I have wanted to do. I love messing about with planes. In my journey through the world planes, I have come across many which beg to be repaired. We will work on planes that can and should be fixed up to be made functional tools again. Clearly this will be something we would want to approach with caution for planes of any historical value, etc. But a lot of planes are just users that would sit around and slowly disappear over time. We will resurrect those!
    If you have planes on hand that you want to work with, please email me with what those planes are and what you think needs to be done or what is missing. I will try to have the right materials and tools on hand. In addition, Ed Lebetkin will be pulling out an array of planes of all types, plus blades, etc. and putting those on one table. They will be offered at great prices. Feel free to visit the store between now and the workshop to select some of these. Those of you taking Chris' workshop hopefully will find the time to go upstairs during the workshop.

As always, if you can’t get into the store during the times listed above, call or email me to set up an appointment.

--
    Ed Lebetkin
    919-967-1757 home
    919-698-0230 cell at the store
    Maurice

Almost every decent-sized antique store I've been in has at least 1 or 2 pairs of dividers. Quite easy to find if you look around a bit. I'd second Ed Lebetkin. Just bought a bunch of shell / nose augers from him. Shipped fast and bent over backwards to get me what I wanted.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Ed is a stand-up guy! Zach is correct, in that he'll go out of his way to get you want. Plus, his prices are very fair.
    Maurice

I'll second Walt at Brass City. I actually was up in Waterbury last year and stopped in. Nice guy and he will have the goods you want....

Just for my own education, is there a reason that vintage dividers are better?

John, I recommended Ed because Bruno, the OP, lives within a 30 minute drive. Kinda nice to put hands on tools when you are shopping for vintage.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Just for my own education, is there a reason that vintage dividers are better?
    Cool factor, for one.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Cool factor, for one.
    Based on my recent purchases, that's a big consideration <g>.

I like the old round leg Starretts - just because they look good. They don't work any better but they feel good in my hand. B&S made some round leg ones also and they're good, too.

I've found them on eBay at very decent prices - just don't be in a hurry.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've got some newly manufactured dividers - square leg ones, I saw them at Sears or something and bought them on a whim because they where a middle size I didn't have at the time, and I felt like I needed them for some thing or other. They work fine for the job, but my vintage ones just "feel" better. I'm sure newly manufactured Starretts or something would be fine (but pricey) but these ones (from Empire or something, I don't know) just don't hold an edge very well at all. Honestly, I don't need my dividers to be *that* sharp - but these things get dull just looking at them - and dull dividers leave bigger holes than needed, and if you want to try a different spacing, it becomes hard to put a hole close to another one if the points are dull.

Cool factor, for one.
    That is my only reason. Seems like a very simpe tool, reasonably inexpensive so I figured I would go for cool.

Thx for reminding me of Ed. I have bought stuff from him in the past; not sure how I forgot him!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Frontera dela Cruz View Post
    That is my only reason. Seems like a very simpe tool, reasonably inexpensive so I figured I would go for cool.

Thx for reminding me of Ed. I have bought stuff from him in the past; not sure how I forgot him!
    We have to admit, that design is an important criterion, because as woodworkers, aesthetics really count.
    Maurice

Agreed 100%.

John, I recommended Ed because Bruno, the OP, lives within a 30 minute drive. Kinda nice to put hands on tools when you are shopping for vintage.