Thread: Wood dust. Irritant........or cancer-causing?

Wood dust. Irritant........or cancer-causing?

I have lingered around this forum long enough to hear suggestions or even outright statements regarding wood dust and the potentially harmful effects on our lungs, skin, or _________? What I am most interested in is the chronic (long-term) conditions one may develop with close contact, i.e. cancer, etc.

So.....what I want to know is..........what are the facts? Not one man's opinion or maybe someone's conjecture. What and where is the evidence? I'm talking about peer reviewed scientific research. Maybe a better question might be if this has been researched at all?

I'm also looking for personal stories. Has anyone in the SMC clan developed cancer from lifelong dust exposure?

Furthermore, are there risk factors that exacerbate the situation, i.e., previous pnuemonia, smoking, etc.?

If there is solid evidence that points to increased risk, then which wood species are inherently safest? Which are the most risky?

And finally, if this risk is real, are there proven methods that reduce our risk?

I have a scientific background, and my vocation requires me to work daily with heightened risk factors, and evaluate each factor based on the best science available. Call me skeptical, but my impression is that there is alot of observational history running around posing as peer reviewed science. There is too much speculation and not enough "just the facts, maam". Am I wrong? I really want to know.

Are there others with these same lingering questions? I love WWing, and hope it will provide me years of enjoyment in return.

Arnie

I think the number one enemy to exposure to wood dust would not be cancer but Emphysima (SP). Over exposure to most any dust can cause this. My grandfather worked in grain elevators for many years and died of exposure to grain dust.

Corey

Arine try a Goggle serch under "wood dust".This will give you what your looking for.

good luck Jim
    Last edited by James Miller; 03-20-2005 at 3:41 PM.

Check out Bill Petz's site for a start. Yes, exposure to wood dust (especially fine particle sizes) can cause cancer, as I understand it the it's more a function of particle size than wood species. A quick Google will quickly bring up a lot of hits.

Some species can be carcinogens, some cause other afflictions and some are just irritants. The bottom line is we all should do the best we can to mitigate dust at the source and be sure to use personal protection when working with those species that cause problems. In fact, it's a good idea to avoid using any species that you know bothers you in any meaningful way. IMHO, of course.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Arnie, I don't have specific information for other diseases, but the National Institute of Health publishes a report called the Report on Carcinogens. The current version is the 11th report from 2003 (the 12th should be published soon). Anyway, the specific chapter on wood dust can be found here: http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/ele...s/s189wood.pdf. At the end of the report they list all the references. You can search on them for additional information.

My summation is that of the 3 regulatory committees listed in the report (OSHA, ACGIH, NIOSH), only NIOSH lists it as a "potential occupational carcinogen." Additionally, the NIH's testing using a belt sander produced a maximum respirable concentration of 0.936 mg/m3. The limits established for exposure are:
    OSHA: 5 mg/m3
    NIOSH: 1 mg/m3
    ACGIH: 1 mg/m3 (hardwoods such as beech/oak)
    5 mg/m3 (softwoods)

Also understand, this is all based on occupational exposure - that is, based on a time weighted average (which is over an 8 hour work day for 40 hours per week). How many of us meet that?

Please don't take this to mean it is safe. The report clearly indicates it is not. But that it takes a large exposure before it can be directly attributed to cancer. As I said in the beginning, this report does not list the other possible side-effects (such as respiratory diseases) or how dust exposure can effect pre-existing conditions. To your request, I was unable to locate any scientifically proven data in that regards.

Be well,

Doc

I am sure it is not healthy.....there are a lot of old woodworkers around though....it seems like something else is the culprit
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Arnie,

You have gotten good information here. Worth a serious read. Reactions will vary by wood type, duration of exposure, particle size and depostion. Also, an individual's own makeup accounts for the varying reactions - some people become sensitized way sooner than others.

Bottom line is to collect as much dust at the source and wear a properly fitting mask/respirator.

Bob
    bob m

Thanks to all for taking the time to answer. My search for decent info brought me to the same websites as what Don Abele (Doc) cited, although his translation/interpretation left me with a much clearer perspective .

I've gotten plenty of references to go on......now it's time to digest the journal articles and references .

My initial feelings haven't changed much with this subject.......I still believe we spend an inordinate amount of time, money, and handwringing on wood dust, at the ignorance of some of the other toxins we are exposed to every day. When was the last time you read about the risk factors of cleaners, finishes, and other chemical mixtures?

In my search, I'll report anything I find that may add to the above info. In the meantime, I'll minimize my risk and enjoy the ride.

Thanks again

Arnie

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie Grammon
    My initial feelings haven't changed much with this subject.......I still believe we spend an inordinate amount of time, money, and handwringing on wood dust, at the ignorance of some of the other toxins we are exposed to every day. When was the last time you read about the risk factors of cleaners, finishes, and other chemical mixtures?
    Arnie, I believe your initial feelings are a bit misguided. Cancer isn't the only problem associated with exposure to wood dust. I suspect that very few woodworkers (hobby or one man pro) take appropriate precautions for handling wood dust. Those that have measured their exposure have found dust concentrations significantly higher that that allowed in industry (IIRC, Pentz' shop measured about 1000 times higher). Most woodworkers spend money on machinery and pretty much ignore dust collection all together. The equipment companies don't help when they design dust collection ports to the market (i.e. 2.5" and 4" DC ports) and not what is needed to properly evacuate their machinery. Besides collecting at the source their are a number of ways of reducing exposure. One, that is very effective is to eliminate the dust in the first place, how? Simple, use hand planes. Before I significantly upgraded my DC system I had moved over to a more neander approach to woodworking in order to protect my sinuses from infections related to wood dust exposure. Producing chips keeps the dust down.

Steve

Call it misguided or wrong or whatever......I am only interested in the science that supports (or doesn't support) the assumption(s).

Too many people today base their health decisions on assumptions (misguided?), and forget altogether that science may actually prove a valuable asset.

Arnie.......with lots of well-used hand planes