Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Lenox Tri-Master bandsaw blades?

Sharpening Lenox Tri-Master bandsaw blades?

Does anyone here at the Creek have first hand experience with having a Lenox Tri-master bandsaw blade resharpened? Who sharpened the blade for you, how much did it cost, was it a worthwhile endeavor?

I have a 1" x 145" 2/3 Lenox Tri-Master that needs to be sharpened badly...

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Does anyone here at the Creek have first hand experience with having a Lenox Tri-master bandsaw blade resharpened? Who sharpened the blade for you, how much did it cost, was it a worthwhile endeavor?

I have a 1" x 145" 2/3 Lenox Tri-Master that needs to be sharpened badly...

Thanks in advance
    Even consulting Lenox I have gotten no where. I did have a lead at one time but forgot to follow up at the time and lost track of the information. I know one guy here sharpens his own, he has a serious setup. Others have alluded to places that either can or should be able to sharpen them but since I got another carbide blade I have just shelved the idea until they both need sharpening. If someone gets a solid answer I think that business could get a decent amount of work from just this forum.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

This may be a waste of time/words for you and me. I don't know anything about the Lenox bandsaw blades, but I was sort of desperate to get a new bandsaw blade over a weekend. Knowing that it would take several days to get the new ones I ordered, I sharpened the dull one w/a dremel tool that I had. I got the extra blades, but haven't had to install them as the bandsaw blade I sharpened cuts better than the ones from the factory. I'm guessing, however, that you're talking about carbide blades. There are several sites on the internet that sharpen carbide stuff, but they involve shipping. Good luck.
    Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I just had my Trimaster sharpened by the local guy that does all my sharpening. He did a really nice job and it works great.
    I can't remember what it cost but it wasn't much.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I guess that a carbide bandsaw blade could be a little more sensitive to errors in tooth angles than say a saw blade, especially anything that might lead to unbalanced side to side forces. Plus it'll need a diamond wheel or whatever.

My fairly limited experience suggest that it's most important to get a sharpening guy with the right kit, and the right mindset - but that if you get the right guy it should be OK in that he's probably not going to attempt anything he can't do right.

There's some about (over here anyway) that'd have a go at anything, and do....

ian

Laguna tools sharpens tri-masters - i think it cost $45.
    jerry
    jerry

Have you tried giving it a real good cleaning? I quit having my blades sharpened since I discovered cleaning. Use the rockler cleaner, soak in a pan and use a brass brush to scrub. Get all the gunk off and my tablesaw blades cut like new.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry cousins View Post
    Laguna tools sharpens tri-masters - i think it cost $45.
    jerry
    Thanks I will give Laguna a try on Monday.. Looking at Laguna's web site, they make it a point they sharpen the Resaw King (which I assume is a carbide tipped blade like the Tri-Master Laguna sells), but they don't say anything about other brands of carbide tipped BS blades..

HI Robert,
    Good timing on the thread, I a half dozen TriMasters and I believe I have two that I have used and cleaned for years that I've been thinking of getting sharpened. I know of a place in Valencia PA just north of Pittsburgh that I'm pretty sure sharpens them. Saw Sales, I've been doing business with them for many years and they're good guys. Equipment and tool dealer for the professional but will gladly offer their time and products to anyone. I'm not in my shop at this time but if you'd like their phone no. PM me and i'll get it for you. I'm thinking of taking the two TriMasters and a few Festool Kapex blades out to them next week. The reason I said believe was when I originally acquried the 6 or so blades they were about 200 inches and I needed 182 for my saw and they cut and welded them for me for about $5.00 or $8.00 apiece, at that time I asked about sharpening them and they said they could do it. Most of their sharpening equipment is computerized. Any way if I can help you just let me know...

take case
    Ben

Hi Robert,
    I called Saw Sales today and found out that they do not sharpen any bandsaw blades so I guess I gave you incorrect information. I apologize for that. Now I also need to find somewhere that sharpens this type of blade. I'm going to try Laguna as Jerry stated.

Ben

Ok folks we have an update for this thread.. I have confirmation that Suffolk Machinery (aka. Timberwolf) will resharpen Tri-Master blades that are 1" wide and have a 2/3 variable tooth pattern. The cost for my 145" blade for my MM-16 will be $70 plus the cost to ship the blade back to me, presently the blade is in Suffolk's hands being sharpened..

Ps: Have to confess that I didn't get a chance to check with Laguna to confirm that they would sharpen a Lenox Tri-Master
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 02-23-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Hi Fellows,
    Since we were all involved here talking about the resharpening of the Tri Master I sent an email to Lenox. A fellow called me on Friday from Lenox and told me that their blades have a specific grind on them and if you attempt to resharpen them you'll ruin the blade. Ok, that's fine but as we now know from others that have researched this that it is possible to have them resharpened. I also contacted Laguna and have not heard back from them. Just thought I'd let you fellows know what Lenox policy is...

I might think next time to buy the Laguna blade since they advertise it as being able to resharpen. I have no complaints about the Lenox I'll say that.....other than this issue....Thanks Robert for the info.....

Here is one service someone might try and report back on. Looks like the charge is about $6.50 plus shipping to sharpen 145" blade and say they service the lenox blades. http://www.jordansbandsaw.com/

Here is another, but it looks like the smallest blade they will sharpen is 1.25" wide. http://www.mqsharp.com/sharpening-services/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Ok folks we have an update for this thread.. I have confirmation that Suffolk Machinery (aka. Timberwolf) will resharpen Tri-Master blades that are 1" wide and have a 2/3 variable tooth pattern. The cost for my 145" blade for my MM-16 will be $70 plus the cost to ship the blade back to me, presently the blade is in Suffolk's hands being sharpened..

Ps: Have to confess that I didn't get a chance to check with Laguna to confirm that they would sharpen a Lenox Tri-Master
    Robert, sorry I just saw this post. As it turns out, just up the road from Charlotte, in Hickory, is Hickory Saw and Tool, they sharpen those blades, at least they did one for me a few years back.

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Hi Fellows,
    Since we were all involved here talking about the resharpening of the Tri Master I sent an email to Lenox. A fellow called me on Friday from Lenox and told me that their blades have a specific grind on them and if you attempt to resharpen them you'll ruin the blade. Ok, that's fine but as we now know from others that have researched this that it is possible to have them resharpened. I also contacted Laguna and have not heard back from them. Just thought I'd let you fellows know what Lenox policy is...

I might think next time to buy the Laguna blade since they advertise it as being able to resharpen. I have no complaints about the Lenox I'll say that.....other than this issue....Thanks Robert for the info.....
    Ben, as far as Lenox's claim of ruining the blade after resharpening, well in my view the dull resaw blade is very dangerous for the user and is already 'ruined', so the worse I could do is needlessly spend money on attempting to sharpen the blade..I will say that I will now think about 10X over before spending $220 for another Tri-Master, said another way the Laguna Resaw King and other resharpenable carbide bandsaw blades are sounding better and better to me..