I need additional insulation in my attic space as well as needing to increase attic ventilation. I have a square hip room that comes to a peak. I was thinking of opening up the peak and adding a cupola along with more eave vents for the ventilation part and adding cellulose for additional insulation. I ran across something called a "Hot Roof" where the insulation (foam most likely)
is sprayed on the underside of the roof decking. Not sure what else is involved with this process or how well it actually works. I understand it is particularly helpful where the HVAC unit and duct work are located in the attic which is my situation. I live in Arkansas and it gets hot and humid in the summer. Does getting a hot roof mean that ventilation is no longer needed or even counter productive? Would I need to seal off the existing minimal roof venting? If there was say 8 inches of foam on the roof deck and the attic unventilated do you think the attic would remain reasonably cool on a hot humid sunny day? Not sure about the ability of the deck insulation to really keep the attic cool. If it matters, the house is two story and the attic is unused as a living area. Anyone with experience good or bad or just an opinion of why one option is better than the other? House is a work in progress and there may be a need for additional roof openings in the future.