Thread: Lumber storage help

Question Lumber storage help

Here is the dilemma: I have 3 primary places I store wood -
    1. In a shed - mostly common and mediocre quality lumber
    2. In the stand up location shown in the first photo on the left
    3. In the plywood storage inside my shop shown in the right hand photo

1 and 3 are OK and function reasonably well, although I rarely know what I have in the shed. My real problem is the best way to utilize the stand up area. It is long and narrow - about 32' wide x 12' long with a 10' ceiling. There is a conventional entry door into this area that is only 80" high and this can't be changed. Standing the wood up seems inefficient, building cubbies for it will get the short stuff lost. I rarely have wood over 8' long and could store it someplace else if I did.

What is the best way to utilize the space on the left?

Thanks in advance.

Lumber storage 003.jpgLumber storage 004.jpg

Phil

How about some kind of rolling rack where you could roll into the shop to look through and then roll back for storage?

The door to get into this area faces a wall 4' away - actually it faces another door but it is an exterior door with a built-in sill so wheels wouldn't work. Good idea though, I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks

I like to put my shorts together, so when I need a short piece can just go look through the short pile. Stacked on end, so just have to take my tape and look for the piece the right size.