Thread: Spindle work yuck

Spindle work yuck

Heres the holder I made up to do some spindle work. It actually works really good I was very surprised cause I don't do spindle work but maybe once a year.
    022.jpg 019.jpg020.jpg
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Looks like you did very well with it. Having that spindle up there sure helps with what you're working on. I don't mind spindle work, it's just that repetitive thing I hate doing.

Looking good Harry. I have several spindles for a antique chair a friend wants me to turn. Don't like doing them but the money is good for these small projects.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice job on the turning part Harry. Do you have to match the finish too?

Nice work Harry. I like doing spindle work every now and again. It takes more discipline and is good exercise for the skills. I know pens and stoppers and finials are spindle work, but they are still free form. Doing matching pieces is really rewarding when you get them done!

Harry,
    Nice work. I freely admit that I originally bought the lathe for spindle work to augment my cabinet making. I QUICKLY discovered the vortex for shapes and forms boxes, platters and more, and have rarely returned to spindles. On the other hand, if it weren't for spindle turning, I may never had discovered what all of you guys have known all along !! Life often presents twists and turns, luckily.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-18-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Steve,Bernie,Mark-The work is OK it just all the calipers and measuring.It does help to hone the skills and we all could probably use some honing
    but, Still YUCK!!!
    Baxter-No I told my buddy that I'd do the turning but he had to finish them,He said OK when he was told what having them turned
    would cost.We been friends sense I was 10 and he was 12 so no charge for these.
    Dick- Theres allot of turners that bought their lathe to turn table legs and have fallen into the VORTEX. Some never even finished their
    legs.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

get good at something & all of a sudden you forget you disliked it! very good
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I've got (picked up from a "skip trip") 4 pine legs for a dining table... Been meaning to tidy them up on the lathe, and perhaps sand them smooth... Not got back to them since I started on pots and bowls... oops!