Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jumper Cables Versus AAA

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Alternators are capable of 140-170 + amps these days. A lot more than any battery charger I know of.
    But who's gonna run their car, at 2000rpm, for 5 straight hours after jumping?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Alternators are capable of 140-170 + amps these days. A lot more than any battery charger I know of.
    No strain on the alternator at all. You will however, get a much better charge off the car because the less amps while charging, the deeper the charge. Better for the battery.

I agree with others, report the incident. I've had AAA for years and have had great service on the 3 occasions I've needed to call them. Just a little OT, whenever we purchase a vehicle I familiarize myself with how to open the hood, locations of fluid reservoirs, spare tire and jack (and make sure I understand how to operate the jack), etc. I do the same if asked to drive someone else's car. I've changed my own tires but now travel through some areas in which it would not be safe to do so, so I have AAA. If your wife is interested it might be worth it to take the time to "teach" her about your vehicle.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

As an backyard mechanic I would highly suggest learning where your battery is in the vehicle. Long gone are the days when they were in front of the tires under the hood. Chrysler puts them in the fender behind the front tires. GM put the battery behind the front passenger seat in the Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook. Battery placement today is more about weight balance and crash performance then convience of maintainence.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka View Post
    He wanted to sell her a new battery because mine was supposedly dead. I am not sure if it was incompetence or the hard sell to take advantage of a woman who was in a vulnerable situation. I was able to get home quickly and I sent them packing.
    AAA contracts out tow work to local businesses. I would call AAA and complain.

Has anyone ever run into the situation where the clamps could not fit on the terminal? I did some researched and saw some jump cables with "Parrot " clamps.
    Yes, but I haven't found a good solution for the problem yet.

I don't use triple A. My car insurance has free towing/road service as part of the coverage. You can be sure that the ins co. cares that the people they send out know their job and don't try to upsell. I've used the service a couple of times and have been very pleased.

Why would you not have jumper cables? The new ones do both side & top posts. Every car including family members have them, we have towing insurance thru State Farm, & we have had AAA, & tow straps. Why be naked on the road?
    Last edited by John Lohmann; 02-21-2012 at 3:58 PM. Reason: stupid
    J Load