Thread: Finished case for archery bow and arrows and accessories

Finished case for archery bow and arrows and accessories

Finally finished this:

wfa-archerycase-final_open.jpgwfa-archerycase-final.jpg

Initial thoughts:

- most vintage cases use a removable frame/ insert to hold arrows --- was this done as a conscious / intentional design for convenience in usage or was it done to facilitate making the case? (So as to avoid the efforts I've had to go to --- pre-finish the arrow holder and interior of the case, match the size of both pieces and fix the finish where I scuffed the arrow holder cutting the lid off the case)

Here's an example of what I meant by the old style cases w/ removable arrow holder / frame (from _Popular Science_): http://books.google.com/books?id=yCw...page&q&f=false

- used the brushed finish medium catches from Woodcraft, but filed off the brushed finish then attempted to polish them --- need to be more patient in the filing (missed a couple of scratches) and more systematic about switching grits / sanding direction --- but that may be moot since these are so small that they're _very_ close to the edge of the opening and I'm worried about their fragility

Improvements for next time:

- wider stock so the lip can be cut w/ a lip as shown in the Popular Science arrow case and the case can be taller (this would obviate the first point)
    - lidded or removable compartment
    - construct arrow holder so rare earth magnets are not exposed
    - the dividers create issues when they hold the sides of the bottom straighter than the sides of the top relax to --- I think a better design would be to leave them out, then create compartments out of the foam used to hold the bow in place and have lids and some sort of latching mechanism for them
    - as I noted above, I don't think these catches are working --- I want to stick w/ solid brass if possible, so will have to go looking again. I did find a turn hasp which is solid brass but I can't believe the price.... may have to switch to brass-plated steel, or maybe I'll have to see about making my own.
    - the handle isn't quite as comfortable as I'd hoped --- I can only get three fingers in, and I've relatively small hands --- in one way, as an archer this appeals, but it's a pain, so I guess this pushes the issue of using wider stock so the case is taller so that a 4" handle is more workable (the 3 and a half is more then the height so touches the surface the case is on
    - not wild about the Stanley bullet catches I'm using for the arrow holder --- thinking that I should try the solid brass ones Brusso makes but I want a surface mount strike plate
    - the foam is from packing material I brought home from work (the nice stuff that doesn't crumble) which I pieced together w/ a hot glue gun --- don't want to do that again, since I still have a headache and am not wild about the idea of even more such fumes from using a hot wire foam cutter on foam which crumbles and I haven't found a supplier for the nicer stuff which I can cut fairly well w/ a knife. The cloth is a scrap from a fitted sheet which developed a tear, so need to look into some other option --- make it out of some sort of expanding foam or papier mache or something and then cover w/ flocking
    - haven't put the brass corner protectors on yet --- wanting to enjoy the case w/o worrying about it dinging other things up for a bit yet. Once the corners get scuffed up, then I'll apply those. I was thinking that the corner protectors could be mortised in, so that they were flush --- if they were then attached w/ counter-sunk tiny brass screws the case damaging other things wouldn't be as much of an issue.

On the bright side, I _love_ the forged brass stay chain and think it's perfect, so it definitely stays.

Specific Questions:

- best way to make dividers / compartments --- I'm concerned about the weight (currently 7 lbs.) --- what sort of foam could I get where? Would removable compartments/dividers on this scale work? How to build such?
    - not liking the floating panels for the sides / top / bottom --- could I glue them in place? Or create more volume by putting the 1/8" plywood in rabbets rather than grooves? The case is 34.5" x 10.5" x 3.5" closed. I was thinking I'd cut veneer into fourths diagonally so that the grain of each quarter followed the side piece it was attached to and glue that to the plywood and sides covering the seam of the rabbet. - am I missing a source for nice solid brass hardware? Is there anyone making this stuff to order or should I start making my own?
    Last edited by William Adams; 02-19-2012 at 8:51 AM.