Thread: Need list of parts for shop made air filtration unit.

Need list of parts for shop made air filtration unit.

I am going to make my own shop air filtration unit. I have a 24 by 20 garage with 10 ceilings. Does anyone have a good pdf that show good photos and parts list for me to start shoping for. Any suggestions on fan size or type. There is a guy on CL today that has a furnance "birdcage" fan with motor and belt for $50. Dont know how big it is. There are several sites with photos out there but it seems they dont have a convient shoping list of things to get and I dont want to look through 20 threads gathering a list. Thanks for the help.

Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

is your birdcage fan also known as a squirrel cage fan ?
    is the motor 110 or 220 volts

All you need is a squirrel cage fan, a filter, and a plywood box with an inlet (filter) and an outlet. I put a spring timer switch on mine to shut it off after I leave my workshop.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    is your birdcage fan also known as a squirrel cage fan ?
    is the motor 110 or 220 volts
    Not sure. I have to call the guy tomorrow whos selling it on CL to find out.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    All you need is a squirrel cage fan, a filter, and a plywood box with an inlet (filter) and an outlet. I put a spring timer switch on mine to shut it off after I leave my workshop.

I was kinds looking for specifics on wiring/switches. Type filters. I read somewhere that it is best to build the box around HEPA filters from Wynn.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

With a belt driven squirrel cage, you are looking at a large fan, plus it's most likely very old. Check with a HVAC company about the fan out of a small gas furnace. Being a gas furnace, this means fan will run on 110, instead of 220 as they do on air handlers for heat pumps. My unit uses a 1/2 or 1/3 HP 9" blower wheel fan. Motor is locate internal to fan. I use bag filters from Grainger. and a pleated outer furnace filter. Bag filters come two to the package, so I have an extra. My filter size is 12 X 24, but some brands don't fit.

I have a 24 by 20 garage with 10 ceilings. ...There is a guy on CL today that has a furnance "birdcage" fan with motor and belt for $50. Dont know how big it is.
    24 x 20 = 480 sq ft. If it is a house furnace blower it will move air around a what, 1200 - 1500 sq ft?

Build a box, put some filters on it and go. I made mine using double filters on 2 sides and when it is turned on it DOES move the air around in the shop! Plus it's quiet. Fine a HEPA and/or furnace filter size that is easy to get, and build a box around them. I made mine and put my OSS and belt sander on top of it, put wheels on the bottom and it becomes pretty useful.

Some will say that it has to be in the "right" place, at the "right" height, pointed in the "right" direction etc etc, but my shop is about the size of your and it cleans the air pretty quickly.

It doesn't have to be expensive, or really fancy to make it work.

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG

Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Guess I will visit an hvac shop today and see if I can score a blower.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

As for the electrical aspect of this project, install an on/off switch with a timer.

After leaving the shop, it will run for pre-determined time to throughly clean the air....