Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in the twist of things

Back in the twist of things

On Friday night I turned my lathe on for the first time in over two months following my carpal tunnel surgery and several non-turning activities. My turning club was meeting the next day and we had a challege to turn and bring an end grain goblet. No big deal huh? Well not being able to control the pent up creative juices, I took what should have been a 30-45 minute project and morphed it into a 2 1/2 hour goblet. (And my hand was hurting at the end!) Definite influence and admiration of Paul Hedman's work in this piece.Elm. 6 1/2" tall, turned, carved, sandblasted and danish oil. Comments and critques are always welcome.

twistedgoblet.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Oh my...you jumped in with both feet!
    Very nice work, welcome back Scott!!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Well Scott that is a beauty. I do like the twist on it. I am going to have to find somebody in town that can sandblast a piece for me. Good to see ya back in the saddle again.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is a fascinating goblet. Can't think of any other word that would better sum it up for me...
    David DeCristoforo

That's just "twisted"! I really like it Scott, I especially love how the base appears nearly fluid. Should be interesting to see where you go with this.

hehe, your 45min goblet turned 2 1/2 hour goblet would have taken me over a week to make. So I think your ahead of the game!

I'm glad to hear you're healing well from the surgery, Don't push yourself too hard! don't want to have to go through all of that again.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Scott, that certainly is outside the box! Again, probably not the type of thing to be doing after the CT surgery AND the drywall work. You realize, I guess, that a "redux" on the surgery is not really a good option?!?!?

That said, while this type of thing isn't my cup of tea, it is well executed.

That's a crazy goblet, Scott. Welcome back to the vortex.

Scott,

Welcome back. Obviously the surgery was succesful. I look forward to your future endeavors.
    Dick Mahany.

Welcome back Scott! Hope you didn't overdo it, you might want to do some more drywall soon!

Very nice Scott. Glad to see your back at the lathe again.

Welcome back to turning Scott! Cool goblet! Love the swirl on the base.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Fantastic! Can't even begin to figure out how you did it.

Glad to see you back turner, Scott! Very rustic yet "artistic" looking goblet. The stem looks especially nice.

Hopefully this project gave you a decent gauge on how far you'll be able to push yourself in the near future without going overboard. Good stuff!

Very cool! You must have been spent after releasing all those pent-up creative juices!

Nice to see you back, Scott. Very rustic looking and very nice!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?