Thread: Could you live with a small slider combo?

Could you live with a small slider combo?

So, every once in a while I think about what I would like to upgrade in my tiny 1 car garage space, and every time I think about it, I end up wanting a sliding table saw. :-) However, a lot of the sliders really are too big when the outriggers are included, so I would probably have to go with one of the smallest combo machines and get rid of most everything else.

So, could you guys live with something like the minimax c26 genius? It has a 4 foot slider, 4k-6k spindle, 10" jointer/planer and (the real kicker for me) 20" of ripping capacity right of the fence. It's a lot of cash to plunk down when I could buy separates with much more capacity for less or the same, but that sliding table, is it worth it?

I can't comment on the MM however as the owner of a small Hammer B3 Winner, yes it's worth every penny, and it costs less than comparable quality separates.

Don't discount the outrigger, I have one on mine when I'm cutting sheet goods, then I remove it and have a small saw again...................Rod.

If you check the Felder Owners Group a small combo has just been posted. 7 series so much heavier than the Hammer or small MM but the footprint is close to the same. Dave

Not to knock the c26, but as Dave said a larger combo doesn't necessarily have to take up that much more room. I have a cu300 in 1/2 of a 2 car garage and do a few things to save space.

First, I typically keep the large sliding table attachment hanging on the wall to save floor space. As I am fine using the "small" miter guage most of the time, I only need the large table when I have a big workpiece. This saves a bunch of floor space in my tight shop.

Second, I have my combo on casters which makes it easy to move it close to the wall or put it out in the center of the space (although I find I don't move it too often).

Lastly, I have the machine positioned so I have to open the garage door for long cuts. I find this set up works well and 95% of the time it is fine to keep the garage door closed. With this layout, I make better use of other space in the garage.

My suggestion is to take a good look at what you have in terms of space and see what you can fit in as it might be more than you think.

I agree with Mike...with careful placement, a "regular" sized combo can fit in a 2-car garage and the longer wagon will give you more flexibility. I personally do a lot of my ripping using the slider rather than the fence. Only really narrow cuts get done with the fence. Otherwise, I'll eyeball the first edge and then use a simple parallel jig along with the short miter-outrigger to make perfectly parallel rips up to 8' long using the slider wagon. And my hands stay away from the blade in the process.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd go with a small, high quality combo machine and a festool tracksaw system for sheet goods cuts that are too big to do on the table saw.

Separate machines are definitely the way to go if you have the space (doesn't sound like you do though).