Thread: novice question - Incra Positioner vs Leigh Jig for dovetails

novice question - Incra Positioner vs Leigh Jig for dovetails

I am ready to step up a level in my woodworking. Want to make 2 or 3 blanket/hope chests and several small and medium size boxes, all with dovetails. What are pros and cons of Incra LS positioner on router table vs a cool jig like Leigh for dovetails?

I have both, but I cannot imagine trying to cut the dovetails on blanket chest parts on a router table with the Incra LS.
    The Incra LS does a fine job cutting dovetails on smaller items. Use a dovetail jig where large parts can be clamped in place & router be moved to make the cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lame View Post
    I am ready to step up a level in my woodworking. Want to make 2 or 3 blanket/hope chests and several small and medium size boxes, all with dovetails. What are pros and cons of Incra LS positioner on router table vs a cool jig like Leigh for dovetails?
    I love the Incra for small complex joints but you mention blanket chests, for that a large DT jig is the ONLY way to go. Bottom line if you have blanket chests in mind you will not be happy with the Incra it is not good for long joints like blanket chests. Everyone has their favorite DT jig, I like both the Leigh D4R Pro and the 24" Omnijig.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

4. I have an adjustable 24" Leigh Jig and been very happy with it. I also have an older PC Omni jig which is great for 1/2 blind dovetails. I have not used a Incra setup so keep that in mind. I question how accurate of dovetails you can cut on a wide box with the Incra positioner setup. I also believe the jigs will be quicker than the Incra setup for dovetail. For a few boxes speed is not that important. With jigs all you get is a dovetail jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    I have both, but I cannot imagine trying to cut the dovetails on blanket chest parts on a router table with the Incra LS.
    The Incra LS does a fine job cutting dovetails on smaller items. Use a dovetail jig where large parts can be clamped in place & router be moved to make the cuts.
    Like Chris, I have both and agree totally.
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

I have the Leigh D4 and it does an excellant job, expecially for the wide boards. I have seen the Incra being demo, the guy was making small box frames. He was cutting 4 boards at a time and it was pretty fast once he got going. I think the Incra will be good for small boxes, can't see it doing good with any size of blanket chest. The Leigh can do both small and larger boxes really well, it may not be as fast on the smaller boxes as the Incra.

I'm with everyone on this. I have the Incra LS17 super system. Wouldn't even attempt to DT or BoxJoint wide/tall boards on the router table. It's not designed for this operation. Great for small boxes and precision incremental cuts, profiles, etc.
    I use my Akeda BC24 for large DT and box joint case work. If you can afford both, I'd recommend going for the Incra and the Leigh D4R. Unfortunately, the Akeda is not currently available or I'd suggest that jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Pennington View Post
    Like Chris, I have both and agree totally.
    Same here. Move the tool not the work when the work is this large.
    -Brian

I have used the Incra System to dovetail 18" wide case sides.
    And would recommend that you get the Leigh system.

The guys at the Neanderthal Haven forum would recommend.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I own an LS and am with the others on going with the Leigh for a wide blanket chest.

The Leigh is a specialized tool, optimized for making dovetails.

The Incra is a highly precise, indexable, highly repeatable fence system with a narrow sliding carriage. These things make it good for narrow dovetails and a *whole* lot more but wide dovetails aren't one of them and using one to make them would be awkward, at best.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim

P.S. Now I'm a combo Normite-Neander and would actually use the saw for the big ones. <g>
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    The guys at the Neanderthal Haven forum would recommend.

That would be the start, white steel Japanese DT chisels would enter the discussion before long! So I will one up them before they even arrive:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.