Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Anarchist's Tool Chest - why build one or the like?

The Anarchist's Tool Chest - why build one or the like?

First of all I find Schwartz's book to be a great read, well worth having & rereading. As I'm nearing the end of the book I thought about the practicalness of the chest it self. Sure if one is traveling it might be a good "travel case" for your tools. But doesn't the weight of the thing require at least two people to heft it into a vehicle? In the days of Hand tool craftsmanship no doubt there were apprentices to help load & move it.

I sure it is a wonderful exercise but how practical is it to have in your shop? I ask because many seem to be building one (not necessarily Chris's) so how useful is it? In what ways do you find it better than a cabinet or tool rack?

I've used traditional tool chests for several years. I like them better than racks or cabinets for several reasons. One, they seal tight and will protect your tools from rust. Two, I like the organizational advantages (tills, trays, etc. for each type of tool, i.e. gouges in one, chisels in another). Three, they look really cool and make me feel like a proper cabinetmaker every time I use mine. Are there other options, sure. But none are as satisfying to me to use.

I keep my bench planes, chisels, joint cutting planes, marking tools, etc. in one large chest. Another smaller chest holds all of my molding planes. With my recent score of a huge bunch of patternmakers gouges, carving chisels, etc. I am planning to make two additional trays in my molding plane chest. Kind of a "straight cutting tools in one chest, curved cutting tools in the other."

Plenty of great reasons to build one.

Zach
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I want PICTURES,do you hear me,PICTURES of your score!!

I got half a two car garage. I wouldn't take chris's chest if he gave it to me. The tools got the walls and the ceiling but the drill press, bench, bandsaw and tablesaw have the floor. I also can't see bending over and digging for tools. Rust isn't an issue for me. A nice cabinet on the wall? Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I want PICTURES,do you hear me,PICTURES of your score!!
    Ask and ye shall receive.

http://galootcentral.com/index.php?o...ails&album=661

I paid $300 for everything you see in the photos. And, yes, that is a early Bailey's patent #13... and a Type 3 #7, and the cleanest #8 I've ever seen. 36 assorted carving and patternmakers gouges / chisels. A sweet little 4" Jennings drawknife. Translucent Arkansas. Huge surgical black. Nice Howland toothing plane and fillister. Clean 28" thumbhole 4 1/2 ppi D-8 with perfect etch. Other assorted stuff.

Sorry for the brief threadjack. Carry on!
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    I got half a two car garage. I wouldn't take chris's chest if he gave it to me. The tools got the walls and the ceiling but the drill press, bench, bandsaw and tablesaw have the floor. I also can't see bending over and digging for tools. Rust isn't an issue for me. A nice cabinet on the wall? Sure.
    You don't really bend over to get tools, just kind of lean. They work great for me. Floor space isn't an issue without all those machines...

I'm really more of a home improvement/small boat builder than a woodworker. I can't envision life without my bandsaw. You didn't drive all the way to egg harbor city nj for those tools did you? There was a lovely oak chest full,of pristine old tools on cl last week that look a lot like your haul right down to that sharpening stone box. Those tools you got look like someone took great care of them. They deserve a nice chest......or cabinet on the wall. Nice score.
    Last edited by John Powers; 02-20-2012 at 6:02 PM.

I bought my tool chest at an antique store basically on a whim just before I started reading the ATC book. I assumed I would be cumbersome for everyday use and that I'd use it basically as storage for the tools I wasn't using, but it's really surprising how nice it is to work out of. I have to fuss with the tills a bit but that's pretty minimal. I keep it tucked under the far end of my bench when I'm not actively working, and coax it out a bit to open it up and dig in. I had every intention of building a wall cabinet at least for a plane till and saw till, but I feel zero need to at this point. I'm developing a little bit of a Saw Problem (they've always attracted me more than any other type of hand tool) so I might very well build a saw till sometime here, but that's due to my personal issues, not any functional reasons.

A truly great haul!!

My best score was in the 80's(I guess). This guy came into the instrument shop. After he heard my interpretation,he mentioned that he had a box full of chisels that his grandfather had left. He didn't know the makes. He wanted to sell them. I did not have any idea what the tools were. They could have been Speed Ball linoleum block cutters for all I knew. I made him a blind offer of $75.00.

When he got back to New Jersey,I called him to see if he could examine the tools and identify the maker. No,they are all black,he said. I went ahead and sent the money. Then,he started wanting to keep things. He kept the wooden planes,and some other stuff. No price reduction. I was getting discouraged that he was reneging like that,but said nothing.

Finally,the tools came. There were over 75(or 100?) 19th.C. Addis English carving tools,with the name CLEARLY stamped on them,even if they were black. Plus,several files and a real nice,large 1/2 round wood rasp.

Well,I was very relieved,and happy,to say the least. They are hanging in my shop,taking up a large amount of space on the racks I made for them!

My 2nd. biggest haul was when I was JUST starting the flea market at Kutztown,with $500.00 in my pocket. Here was a LARRRRRGE assortment of pattern maker's gouges,cranked chisels,NICE old Disston back saws. I mean,there must have been over 150 tools laid out. I asked the seller,a young,large guy how much. He said $24.00 each. This was in the 70's,and that was GOOD money for those tools at that time,but,they were very nice,well cared for old tools. He'd just bought out a pattern maker's shop.

So,I resigned myself to blowing my whole wad,and picked out about 24 gouges,chisels,and some saws. I asked what I owed? He screwed his face around for several seconds and said $150.00!!! I paid up EL PRONTO MUCHO. Later on,he came up to me with a nice,large Atkins miter box saw,wanting $50.00 for it. It was way too much,but I think he had figured out how bad he had screwed himself,so I bought it. Never have yet sawn a piece of wood with it.

It seems to me (and I see this as a good thing) that using a tool chest would require a lot more disipline in organization and even keeping tools clean. One wouldn't be "throwing" quality tools in the chest willy-nilly, nor leave them covered with shavings etc as both actions could affect other tools in the chest. I'm finding just how important "taking time" is when working with hand tools and maybe the tool chest partly symbolizes that for some.

I made my tool chest more of a pattern maker's type. But,I was never an itinerate(sp?) type woodworker. Those big chests were rugged,and were often used as workbenches on jobs like trim carpentry,etc..

I was concerned about the same thing, but you don't bend over and dig. I put my chest on a platform with casters about 6" high. Larger tools are on the bottom, so you are grabbing a saw handle or plane tote. The smaller tools are in tills. I find it much easier and quicker to get and put away tools than I did when they were in wall cabinets. Everything is a step away and I maintain a cleaner bench. (I'm an older, big guy and can't touch my toes.)
    Andy Margeson
    oregonwoodworker.blogspot.com

I also just recently acquired an old tool chest full of tools for $300, Zach. It is an old Shipwright's chest. But I over the years, it's been picked, I guess. It has plently of wooden planes in it (coffin smoothers, jacks, and a 26" jointer), but unfortunately no chisels. Some of the planes aren't in great shape, but some are pretty nice. The large jointer has a seriously hefty Butcher blade on it. It also came with some of the heaviest duty rasps I've ever seen, a bunch of old blades (Butchers), a bunch of different sharpening stones, a few saws, three try squares, an old block of wax, a few unusual small torches, and a bunch of other tools/objects I can't quite identify. Maybe I'll post some pictures of it.

Anyway, a chest seems like a great way to store tools. Before I got this one, I was planning on making one. I may still do it, and use this as a pattern.

But, that's a nice find there, Zach.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Fabbri; 02-20-2012 at 9:05 PM.

A few observations and personal opinions about tool chests and the recent fad of building them:

-How many of you would have built a tool chest if Chris Schwarz ( whom I greatly admire for inspiring many to use hand tools) had not touted them in his book? It's not like they are a new idea!
    -I built the school box, which was a fun way to practice dovetail construction. I haven't found a good use for it...either.
    -It takes two men and a boy to lift a tool chest filled with tools. My wife wouldn't be up to it.
    -Just where are you taking those tools anyway? Is there a demand for itinerant hand tool craftsmen?
    -I cringe when I look at photos of tools knocking against each other in those beautiful tool chests. I don't want my Lie-Nielsen tools rubbing against anything but water stones and curly maple.
    -People using tool chest should have to dress like Adam Cherubini. Its only fitting.

Who knows? Maybe I will run out of things to build and decide a tool chest would be just the place to put all those impulsively bought tools that I just might need someday.... #s 51 through infinity.

Mike,

You stated part of my point/inquiry exactly.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    A few observations and personal opinions about tool chests and the recent fad of building them:

-How many of you would have built a tool chest if Chris Schwarz ( whom I greatly admire for inspiring many to use hand tools) had not touted them in his book? It's not like they are a new idea!
    -I built the school box, which was a fun way to practice dovetail construction. I haven't found a good use for it...either.
    -It takes two men and a boy to lift a tool chest filled with tools. My wife wouldn't be up to it.
    -Just where are you taking those tools anyway? Is there a demand for itinerant hand tool craftsmen?
    -I cringe when I look at photos of tools knocking against each other in those beautiful tool chests. I don't want my Lie-Nielsen tools rubbing against anything but water stones and curly maple.
    -People using tool chest should have to dress like Adam Cherubini. Its only fitting.

Who knows? Maybe I will run out of things to build and decide a tool chest would be just the place to put all those impulsively bought tools that I just might need someday.... #s 51 through infinity.