Thread: Fly Rod tube holder

Fly Rod tube holder

I was starting to get to many rod tubes piled in a corner so I figured I would make a storage rack. The only thing I didn't think of is now the wife can see in one place how my fly rods I own!They are as addicting as tools. This is mostly cherry with maple legs and a maple drawer front(even though it looks like cherry on the pic). I started working on it's bigger brother the fly tying desk which will take another month or so to finish.

Bob

flytube1.jpgflytube2.jpg

As a fellow fly fisherman I have to say that’s really nice. I wish I had enough nice rods to need a holder like that. Now you need to make some fly rod tubes/cases to put in that pretty rod holder. I’ve made a few out of walnut and it’s not that hard to make a nice one. If you’re interested I could post or email a few pics (I don’t want to hi-jack your thread).

I can't wait to see your fly tying desk. My first real woodworking project (something I’d call furniture) was a fly tying station that goes on top of a desk I already had. It’s soooo great to combine the two hobbies; Woodworking and Fly Fishing… Good times!
    Tight lines Bob, the season is almost here.
    -D
    Last edited by Dave Rathert; 02-23-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks Dave, I would love to see some of your tubes. You can post them or email whatever you perfer. It's something I have planned on making just never have yet are they the hexagon ones? I make most of all my own rods lately and have been turning foam core carbon fiber handles which are very nice to use.

Blog Entries
    I don't do much fishing but you've given me a great idea for my turning tools. Nice job.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Yes Bob, my rod cases are the hexagon ones. A few pics are attached. There is a hex “tube” inside the main “tube.” The top part of the main “tube” slides over that and four rare earth magnets work as the latch. You line up the inlay dots to line up the magnets. I cut all the miters with chamfer a bit on the router table.
    Also attached is my fly tying station. I wanted to show you my favorite feature; the trash slot that goes into the middle bottom drawer. If you can work something like that into your design, I highly recommend it.

-Dave
    IMG_4523.jpg4_Web_6913.jpg4_web_6927.jpg

Tubes look nice, I like the way your's closes better than the others I have seen. I may need to try that! Your tying station looks very nice also. I have the trash chute taken care of.

Bobdesk.jpg