Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Rest Question

Tool Rest Question

I am trying to decide whether to spend the money on new tool rests. I was looking at the Robust with the hardened steel rod across the top. Other than Robust lathe owners does anybody use these and do you feel it was a worthwhile investment over your stock tool rest?

I bought a robust tool rest for my Nova 1624 and love it. It's more comfortable than the stock rest. Go for it, you won't regret it.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

3. I got one of the Robust low profile rests [6 inch]for my Grizzly lathe............I like it a lot........allows me to get in close when making a finial and other small details..........I can reach my finger behind the finial with this rest to give me support when making delicate cuts. The hardened steel rod surface is ding resistant and allows for fluid movement across the top with your tools.............my thinking is you will like it a lot if you do get one.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I bought several Robust rests after buying one. They are ding resistant and comfortable. A fine product.

I like the Robust rest. I have a couple of them. I prefer the low profile rest because at times I like to wrap my hand around the rest. But if you do not do that, either the standard or the low profile will work just fine. If I had to buy them again I would.

Alan

My parents raised me to be "frugal," my wife calls me cheap but I finally spent the money on a Robust rest and it was worth every penny! I got a 9" comfort rest and use it 90% of the time on my 1642. I may end up getting a 6" low profile if I ever start turning finials. Buy one, you wont regret it!

Greg

I picked up the Robust for my 1642...the one it comes with is redonkulous (my daughters word of choice)
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Most of my turnings are small so I got the 4, 6 and 12" Robust for a 1642 and cannot imagine turning without them. I have never heard of anyone that did not like them.

I don't have a robust rest, but I do have very similar ones manufactured by Jeff Nicol. If you can convince Jeff to make you a few rests, they're definitely worth the cost and substantially less expensive than robust.

I have a couple and worth every penny especially the low profile.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

They are not only ding resistant, the turning tools slide across them with a lot less friction/resistance than the cast iron rests.

robo hippy

I have 4" and 6" Robust rests... I like using them.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Andrew - I have a bunch of different brand tool rests that I have used over the years on my Jet 1642 and I always favored the Monster 12 offset T style over all others. Now that I have a Robust, I have to admit that I really like the 12" comfort rest when roughing and the low profile rests when doing any finishing work. None of the quality tool rests are cheap but when you figure that they will last you a very long time... and are great to use, they are worth it.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I use the low profile rest from Robust and love them. The standard size is a little to high for my hands but everyone loves them also.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

i have the 3", use it on finishing cuts, roughing i just use my 12" jet