Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First HF with the KOBRA

That's a gorgeous form, love the way the grain wraps around. Did you use any non-Kobra bits or arms for the inside shoulder area?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    That's a gorgeous form, love the way the grain wraps around. Did you use any non-Kobra bits or arms for the inside shoulder area?

Dan
    Thank you, Dan. I used the John Jordan 1/2 curved boring bar. I ordered the the 1/2 inch Kobra adapter since I knew I wanted small entry holes. It worked really well.

Blog Entries
    Harvey that is just beautiful. I'm glad to see you turning out such beautiful work right off the bat. Question for you, does the system come with its own cutting tools or do you use your own?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Harvey that is just beautiful. I'm glad to see you turning out such beautiful work right off the bat. Question for you, does the system come with its own cutting tools or do you use your own?
    Bill, the Kobra comes with the boring bars and the boring tips. The tips contain the cutters which are sharpened on the grinder. The outside of the form is done with my Glaser.

Quote Originally Posted by George Van View Post
    Harvey, you mention angled cutters, are these gooseneck or the straight tips with the cutter broached at an angle? What did you use for the top of the form aside the mouth?
    BTW: I sure do like the form with that rich grain!
    George, picture the angled cutters as if you might picture an insert. They attach to the boring bars with set screws. They are interchangeable between the one inch and the 3/4 inch boring bar. A really slick solution. There is a youtube video that shows the Kobra in action. The outside of the form was turned with my Glaser 15V.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Congrats on the Kobra and a nice looking form!
    Thank you, Baxter.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Ghesser View Post
    George, picture the angled cutters as if you might picture an insert. They attach to the boring bars with set screws. They are interchangeable between the one inch and the 3/4 inch boring bar. A really slick solution. There is a youtube video that shows the Kobra in action. The outside of the form was turned with my Glaser 15V.
    Harvey, I have a Kobra and cannot get the 45 degree cutter to reach under the top of the hollow form with a shape like yours without hitting the collar and shattering the piece. I have been using an adapter and the Kelton cranked hollowing bar. When I saw your piece I had though Kobra had a new gooseneck head available. How far out are you extending the 3/16 inch cutter from the broached cutting head?

George, PM sent.

Blog Entries
    Harvey, are the cutters carbide, or something else you can sharpen yourself? I'm intrigued by this set up but I don't think it'll work on the lathe I'm working on getting. (VB36)

Bill, the cutters that came with the Kobra are 3/16 HSS. I sharpen them with the "widget" that I bought from Dave at Dway...a really elegant way to sharpen these little suckers.

VB36 eh? You must want to turn some big suckers. My Stubby can go 30 inches but it never will!

Blog Entries
    The feature ring I'm making for the contest at segmentedwoodturners.org is going to be about 28" in diameter. My current lathes only have 14" of swing. A dilema for sure. Only solution I can see is a bigger lathe.