Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do, what to do...

What to do, what to do...

I recently got paid for some work done on the side and I have a dilemma (albeit a good one) about what to use the funds for. So I’d like everyone’s help in playing everyone’s favorite game – spend someone else’s money!To start out, I already have a table saw, band saw, lathe, drill press, planer, 2 routers, a small variety of clamps, a spindle sander, belt/disc sander, jigsaw, dust collector, small air compressor/brad nailer, among a few other odds and ends.In terms of the projects I like to tackle, I have started making furniture and would like to expand my scope in that realm. Some of the projects I’d like to start are a blanket chest, coffee table, dresser, etc (to give you an idea of my woodworking needs). I’m still fairly new to this craft, though, so that’s why I wanted to get everyone’s opinion.I have approximately $2,000 to invest (I prefer that word to “waste,” “spend,” “splurge,” or any others with more negative connotations!), and have been researching the following items/types of items:

Festool Domino
    Festool TS55EQ plunge saw
    Festool CT26E dust collector
    Starrett combination square
    Lie Neilsen or Woodriver #4 plane
    Lie Neilsen or Woodriver #5 plane
    Lie Neilsen or Woodriver #7 plane
    Lie Neilsen or Woodriver block plane
    DowelMax
    Mortise Pal
    Grizzly 6” or 8” jointer
    Larger air compressor
    Hitachi brad nailer
    Incra miter gauge
    Clamps, clamps, and more clamps

So, if you were in my shoes, how would you divvy up $2,000? I’m open to any all suggestions, so if there’s something you recommend that’s not on the list, I’d like to hear.

Thanks much in advance for all the help!

If I were serious about considering a Domino, I'd be tempted to look at that new model that can handle bigger joints. Looks like it will also do the "normal" sized ones also.

If I had 2K to spend right now, I'd be tempted to buy a Festool sander/vacuum combo and spend the rest on a used drum sander. That Jet with the oscillating head looks interesting.

The first thing I would think about is where I am headed in the woodworking world. Do you want to make furniture to try and sell, keep for personal use, gifts etc. When spending any money it always takes me a while because I want to make sure that I am buying something that is going to increase my satisfaction, productivity, and skill set. I found out the hard way not to buy tools just because everybody says it is a great tool. If you don't have an immediate need don't buy it. One thing I don't see in either one of your lists is a stationary wide belt sander. If you are going to continue doing furniture while it isn't a must have it can sure come in handy. Just my .02 cents....

You'll have a difficult time progressing forward without a jointer. Most folks are happy with an 8" with a spiral head. A good block plane would be next, along with sharpening gear. I'd spend the rest on parallel clamps and a good miter gauge. The other items on your list are nice to have, but you can easily get by without them (until the next cash infusion).

When you did your last project, what tools did you wish you had to make the project easier? I prioritize my purchases based on what what I wished I had.
    Wood'N'Scout

I usually move funds to purchase machines, tools or jigs that take the drudgery out of, or add precision to, my woodworking. For instance, I have a lot of flavors of sanders because I hate to sand. If a sanding task comes up, I probably have a machine that makes it easy.

Todd

Starret square.Jointer,Lie neilson block plane

I'd go jointer.

The starrett square- that one is a no brainer. I would look at the combination square, and this: http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-13C-6...bxgy_hi_text_c

Jointer (Grizzly 490 is excellent), square, block plane, jack plane (you might start out with nicely tuned Stanley's before you spend the money on LN), and I'd replace the domino with a Jessem dowelling jig. I've got and like both, but for the money, get the Jessem.

I am also fairly new to this "hobby" (obsession, whatever) and I currently have the Domino, TS55, CT26 and Grizz 490.. Cant imagine working without any of them now..(Also have the Festool MFT/3 which gets used far more than I thought I ever would, cut my table saw use by 2/3rds.) The Domino will "mostly" replace the dowel max and mortise pal. I have a Delta benchtop mortiser and have not used it once since I got the Domino. I also have the Wood River #4 and Block planes, I dont use them much but when I do I am very satisfied with them. Both took minimal tweaking out of the box and are of good quality. My next purchase is a starrett, and more clamps when they go on sale.
    Don't know how much this helped but what I am trying to say is that there is no real bad things on that list.. IMHO

James - I'm going to assume, which makes me wrong, that you made up your list in the order of what you thought was important. I would definitely get the domino and the track saw. Then I would go for the joiner, brad nailer and clamps are a good investment. Unless you are going to build things by hand and not use power tools, you don't need the Lee Valley stuff. Granted they are excellent tools but a good Stanley block plane and jack plane will serve you just as well. And I'm making a statement - not to open up a debate. Once you get the Fess Tool stuff and the joiner, the next number one item on your list should be the Fess Tool vacuum. I will agree with most that the Fess Tool stuff appears to be over priced but once you use it you will see how well it is engineered. Good luck in your endeavors.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Jerome Hanby - And what if I were only semi-serious about getting a Domino? Haha. Seriously, it's a very tempting tool, but it may be more "lust" than "love." Not sure yet.

Andrew Kertesz - Well, I have a 6"x48" sander already. Or did you mean something else? Like a drum sander?

Andrew Hughes/Bobby O'Neal - What size of jointer would you recommend? And standard knives or spiral cutterhead?

Dan Bowman - I never understood what the difference was between a parallelogram jointer and a standard one - can anyone explain the difference?

John Langley - Well, the list is organized by random order... in other words, there's no particular order to it. Was just writing things down as they came to mind. Does that change anything?

I'd vote with Mr. Bobby O'Neal. You need a jointer to properly square up any stock. You have the planer and the table saw and with a 8 inch jointer, you'd have the big three you need to get the wood ready for what ever you are going to build.

It is so much fun to spend someone else's money!

It is so much nicer to build things when the stock is straight and flat. I could not work without my jointer. An 8" spiral would be first on the list. I really love my Festool tools but they would be 2nd or lower to the jointer. Domino or TS55? Depends on what you need the most. My shop is really small so the TS55 is used to reduce plywood (or long boards) to a manageable size. I've used the Domino for hundreds of joints but have started to make tenons other methods. It is not as hard as it appeared! A good sharp block plan or shoulder plane works great for that purpose. There are lots of ways to proceed.

Your choices should depend on how you plan to work and what you like (or need) to build. A fun situation to have! Happy spending.