Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help , ideas of things to do or see, holiday to California

Blog Entries
    I'd add the Griffith Observatory and La Brea Tar Pits to the list.on the way North, you might consider Jalama beach and Pismo beach (these are very different). Hearst Castle could be a choice. Big Sur is also worth consideration.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    The Pismo Beach to Monterey stretch can be traveled via highway 1 hugging the coast or inland on highway 101. If you have the time, highway 1 is definitely the way to go for beautiful scenery.

Here's a couple of more suggestions:

San Francisco: About 20-30 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge is Muir Woods National Monument where you can see the Redwoods - the world's tallest trees (not to be confused with sequoia's which are the largest). Take a drive in the evening to the top of Twin Peaks for a great elevated view overlooking the city -particularly at night. The Exploratorium (which is attached to the Museum of Art) is a great hands-on science museum and it is right next to the Marina district of town. If you're going to go to Alcatraz, plan on taking about 4 hours to do it. My kids loved it - I found it depressing.

Yosemite: Wow - only two days in Yosemite! My family spent a week there in 2008 (my 4th trip) and it wasn't enough! Unfortunately, you're going at the worst time of the year (crowds + the waterfalls will be nowhere near their peak) but you'll still find it amazing. While in the valley, visit the Ansel Adams shop for some great B&W photography. Take one of the evenings to go to Glacier Point. Try to arrive about an hour before sunset for the best lighting. Check the park calendar in advance as astronomy clubs have their telescopes set up for public viewing a couple of nights per month. On the road to Glacier Point, take the trails to Taft Point and Sentinel Dome (about 1 1/2 miles ea.) Drive Tioga Pass Road to at least Olmstead Pt. - if you've got the time go as far Toulumme Meadows - some good short hikes along the road. Since you're going to Sequoia NP, don't bother spending much time at the Sequoia grove at Yosemite since it's pretty similar. BTW -my daughter and DIL took over 2300 pictures so have a lot of digital card memory for your camera...

Sequoia NP - besides the groves, I would suggest climbing to the top of Moro Rock if it is a clear day - while there are handrails for protection, it can be a little nerve-wracking if you have a fear of heights. If you've never been in a cave, Crystal Cave is a pretty good hike.

Sounds like a great trip!
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Bless them

A huge thank you to everyone for the help and advice provided

When my wife saw the replies she said bless them

I recently either read or heard that the most up lifting thing a human being can do is to help another person and I wish I could thank you all personally

regards Brian

Brian, I hope you have a few days planned one you get home to relax, that is one heck of a trip.

BTW where in the UK do you live?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I live in the United Kingdom and will be visiting the USA. on holiday in July 2012

My holiday plan is as follows

One night Los Angeles airport,one night Pismo beech,one night Monterrey, three nights San Francisco,two nights Yosemite,one night Sequoia,three nights Las Vegas ,one night Grand Canyon,one night Lake Havasu,three nights San Diego then return home to United Kingdom

Can anyone please advise or make suggestions of things to do,places to see and places to eat

My family group consists of My wife ,son age 13 and daughter age 16 plus myself

regards Brian
    Depends on what kinds of things your family likes to do... cultural things or just plain fun things.

In Vegas I'd recommend the Blue Man Group if you like music. Otherwise the stage magicians like Lance Burton are pretty entertaining. The Gun Store shooting range in Vegas lets you rent and shoot fully automatic weapons which is quite fun, http://thegunstorelasvegas.com/. A bit expensive though. $30 disappears in about 3 seconds. There are some roller coasters and things on top of some sky scrapers which are fun if you are not afraid of heights. You can also bungee jump off of a building. There is a great car collection at the Imperial Palace. Las Vegas Motor Speedway is an awesome place to see a NASCAR race. If theres no race look into the Richard Petty driving experience where you can ride in one of the race cars around the track, or drive one yourself. They are at different tracks at different times so you'll have to check the schedule. It will probably be pretty hot out there around that time.

In San Diego theres lots to do. If there happens to be a Red Bull air race on that is neat to see, http://www.redbullairrace.com. The Midway aircraft carrier is cool to take a tour through if you like jets and military stuff, http://www.midway.org/. Sea World of course is down there which I really enjoy, we go once a year. The San Diego Zoo is neat as well as the Wild Animal Park. The whole Balboa Park area is fun, http://www.balboapark.org/ My favorite there is the air and space museum. Lots of tech companies around the Sorrento area if you are a nerd type. El Agave restaurant in old town SD is very good if you like tequila. I always get a dish that is a nice steak and a giant mushroom cap. The Maritime Museum is neat but I'd bet theres better stuff in Britain, http://www.sdmaritime.org/. The Miramar (Top Gun fighter school) air show is great but I think its in October. Or course surfing at the beaches is always fun. If you catch a Navy battle group entering or leaving port its always interesting to see. The downtown SD city area is not all that great honestly (smells like urine and there are bums everywhere that harass you for money...I go there from time to time because one of my work locations is there). If you can find a Five Guys Burgers they have good hamburgers (people will claim In N Out is better but to me its the difference between a Yugo and a Lexus ) Enjoy the weather. Its always 75 degrees and sunny, pretty much year round.

In San Fransisco the US mint is kind of neat. There are some railroad museums which are pretty cool. Of course the Golden Gate Bridge is impressive. Alcatraz Island prison.
    Last edited by Bryan Morgan; 02-25-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    . ) Enjoy the weather. Its always 75 degrees and sunny, pretty much year round.

In San Fransisco the US mint is kind of neat. There are some railroad museums which are pretty cool. Of course the Golden Gate Bridge is impressive. Alcatraz Island prison.
    I wouldn't expect it to be 75 degrees OR sunny in San Francisco in July, more likely 60 degrees and foggy. And, the interior valley can easily be 100 - 110 degrees.

Pismo Beach is about 3.5 hrs. from LAX, about half way to SF. Numerous lodging opportunities line the bluffs just north of downtown. Expect most to be fairly expensive in July. If you have a full afternoon, explore the various wineries 10 minutes inland via Price Canyon Road in the Edna valley, walk the beach and pier and then eat. I recommend Ventana Grill (Cal-Mex fusion) or Guiseppis downtown. If you're in town on Friday travel 10 minutes up the coast to Avila Beach where at 4:00 pm there's a lively farmer's market on the beach. In July there's a 50/50 chance of fog. If the fog's in, its 60 degrees. Even if the sun's out it rarely reaches much more than 70 (much like SF). Avoid the town at 4th of July as the town in very crowded for the fireworks. It's a must to use Hwy 1 through Big Sur for the way to SF. A cool walk through the redwoods to a waterfall is at Limekiln, just off the highway. From PB, with stops along the way, figure six hours or more to SF. Via Hwy 101 its 4 hrs with really nothing to recommend along the way except, perhaps, a walk about Pinnacles National Monument near Soledad.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Van's post reminded me of a place I want to stay in Carmel (just next door to Monterey). It's called Mission Ranch.

http://www.missionranchcarmel.com/

Clint Eastwood owns it. He's been known to frequent the bar and play piano. Just look for his old pickup truck in the parking lot.

Todd

I think most celebrity types are put too high on a pedestal, and I could walk past most and not care.

Clint Eastwood, happens to be one of the exceptions. I'd really like to run in to him sometime.

A big thank you to everyone for your help advice an ideas. I have made a copy of the content of your posts and will use this to help plan my holiday

It is fantastic (" a word I have never typed before ") to know that there are people within the Sawmill creek community who provide help and advice to other on a range of topics

regards Brian