Thread: Simple Question... for this group anyways.

Simple Question... for this group anyways.

First, before I ask this question....
    I want to thank all of you guys on this forum for the wealth of knowledge I've gained from stalking these forums the past few years. The LOML is mad at all of you for taking up so many hours, but I sure do appreciate it. This is a pretty amazing collection of talented people. I have enjoyed looking at all of your projects and shops. I am a little limited in how much woodworking I do (job conflict), but when I do, there is never a time I don't use something I learned on here. Ok, now that I've boosted all the egos...

I'm building a bench for my wife's bridal boutique. I'm going to try to explain what I need as best as I can. The legs of the bench are one solid piece of 2 inch thick walnut 17"x15" (she gave me a picture I'm just trying to copy it). My question has to do with the apron (I don't know what to call this) that runs between the two legs to form the base. I would like to cut it as an arch, but I have no idea how to do the layout to make it even. If this doesn't make sense to anyone I can draw a picture out. I was hoping someone could help. Actually I know someone can help, this is pretty basic I know. Thanks again for all the info.

When I need to draw an arch, I use a metal yardstick or a thin flexible strip of wood.

You may want to use a piece of plywood to make a pattern, then use the pattern to transfer the arch to your good wood.

http://woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip110300sn.html

The picture in the link shows it well.

Don't forget to post a picture of your finished project!

Bill

Depending on the length of the aprons, and depth of the arch, a long string nailed to something 10-20' away may be the way to go for laying out the arch.
    A bowed thin strip of wood is another way.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

For that size I would probably use a strip of thin plywood to bend and draw the arch. Make sure the width is even along the length or it will not be symmetrical. Keep that in mind if you ever need to draw a non-symmetrical curve. Then to the bandsaw or jig saw and then either the OSS or drum sander on the drill press to smooth it out.

You could always make a plywood pattern so when it came time to do the actual piece you could use a pattern bit in the router so you didn't have to take the chance of messing up the piece itself during the smoothing process.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I will certainly post when I'm finished.

If you really want it dead nuts perfectly symmetrical, make half a pattern, and then flip it when you do the layout. That's what I do anyhow. I'm not much of an artist. It takes me hours to draw the simplest shapes....it would take all day if I had to repeat it perfectly on the other side!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    For that size I would probably use a strip of thin plywood to bend and draw the arch. Make sure the width is even along the length or it will not be symmetrical. Keep that in mind if you ever need to draw a non-symmetrical curve. Then to the bandsaw or jig saw and then either the OSS or drum sander on the drill press to smooth it out.

You could always make a plywood pattern so when it came time to do the actual piece you could use a pattern bit in the router so you didn't have to take the chance of messing up the piece itself during the smoothing process.
    +1 on a pattern bit, preferably with a shear angle or solid carbide spiral(expensive and likely somewhat brittle?) I'd think a bit with a shear angle would be better on an arch where part of the cut is going to be end grain.
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...n_flush_anchor
    http://www.holbren.com/flush-trim-spiral/
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-24-2012 at 8:39 AM.