Thread: Upgrade flex hose to fixed PVC

Question Upgrade flex hose to fixed PVC

Hi all. Been watching these forums for a while. Specifically DC info. Just joined today.
    I want to replace the flex hose on the floor with D2729 PVC, and aluminum tape at each joint, and minimal flex at drop near each tool. I have a Delta DC, used, good price, with 4” inlets, 1250 CFM per Delta. The longest horizontal run is under 15'. I changed the OEM fabric filter bag with a much larger 1 micron bag from American Filter Fabricators. I plan to build the Thien Separator Lid and Phil Bumbalough Blast Gates. Also built a unit to filter dust in the air.

My questions are:

1. Am I on track with what I have planed for DC?
    2. Thought I had seen how to connect 4” flex hose or 4” flex connector to the D2729 PVC somewhere on this forum. I cannot relocate it. Can someone help here?
    3. How do I connect Phil's blast gates to each between PVC drop and flex hose?
    4. Thought I read where Phil was going to post pics of a jig he made to assist with making the BG's. Can anyone direct me to those pics?

Sorry if this is to much all at once.
    Thanks

I do know that Woodcraft is sporting a coupler to go between the ASTM2729 and the ABS DC fittings. I saw it that last time I was in the local store. But I do not remember if it fits inside the flex hose (what you're looking for) or fits over the other fittings (ie., one size too big but may work).

What size ASTM2729? Granted 4" PVC will be better than 4" flex, but you'll never get half of the 1250CFM. If you're thinking of doing that much work (installed solid duct and building blast gates), you may want to think about upsizing atleast one size, if not two (ie., 5 or 6").
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 02-23-2012 at 9:18 PM.

Does that mean a new DC, or just 5" or 6" and drop back to 4" at the DC?

By 4" inletS (plural) and the CFM rating, I was under the impression you had the single 6" to twin 4" port "adapter" on the DC. Most of those adapters are removable. Do you have the model number and/or HP of the DC?

The maximum flow rate is governed by the smallest duct or gate diameter. If you do expand, you can reduce SP friction loss but you won't gain the CFM back.

Model: 50-850, ports: 2 @ 4", hp: 1.5, rpm: 3450, amps: 12
    I don't know if intake port can be removed and replaced with 6" port. I can check with Delta.

Yes, it can Ed. Remove the plastic "Y," should be two set screws, and you'll have one, 6" inlet. Most single-stagers are built this way (Penn State, Harbor Freight, Jet, etc.)
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hamilton Jr. View Post
    Yes, it can Ed. Remove the plastic "Y," should be two set screws, and you'll have one, 6" inlet. Most single-stagers are built this way (Penn State, Harbor Freight, Jet, etc.)
    HF DC is 5", not 6".

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Mills View Post
    I want to replace the flex hose on the floor with D2729 PVC, and aluminum tape at each joint, and minimal flex at drop near each tool.
    I used 3/4" electrical tape at my connections because it stretches well to fit the junctions. Sprayed on clear lacquer over the end of the tape to make sure it stayed. Cheap, easy, effective. The wyes and connectors made for flex hose fit inside 4" S+D so you can put one end into the S+D pipe and the other into the flex hose. For example a blast gate can be a transition point. If you have an area where you need to get the pipes to stay together and can't fasten it to a wall for example, pop rivets work wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hamilton Jr. View Post
    I have that same Delta dust collector and it can be removed but once off, mine at least as a plate welded on the inside of the housing that takes the opening back down to 4". Do other collectors have this?

The HF unit has a 5" inlet to the impeller, with a stamped sheet metal ring and struts to keep larger objects from entering the impeller. It is inconvenient to enlarge that opening to 6", and probably not a good idea to do so, as the exit from the impeller is also 5" diameter.

There is no such thing as 5" Ø PVC pipe. But 5"Ø metal duct (snap lock or spiral) is common.