Thread: Duct Cleaning IDEA

Duct Cleaning IDEA

I posted this earlier in General Woodworking and Power Tools and it got moved by someone to workshops, but it isn't a workshop question. It is a Power Tool question. It pertains to cleaning the ductwork in the HVAC system in my house. The equipment is a power tool or at least a new use for a power tool if it works.

Super Dust Collection Idea

What if I took the 2 hp HF model dust collector that is rated for 1550 cfm and attached a 10 foot 4 inch dust collection hose to it. I would then attach the other end of the 4 inch hose to the ductwork of my forced air furnace. Then I would get some flexible chimney cleaning brushes with extension rods and insert the cleaning end into the heat ducts of my house to dry scrub the ductwork. I would have around $250 into the system and would be able to keep the equipment afterwards. I would think this would be comparable to what a duct cleaning business would charge for cleaning my ductwork for me.

Do you think it would work?

Anyone had their HVAC ductwork professionally cleaned? Any pros or cons? Price? Results?

Don't think much of duct cleaning companies and heres why. I renovated an old house and removed all the pipes , trunk line in the basement . This furnace was probably 30-40 yrs old, and had no dust or dirt in the pipes. But the cold air return , the part made by using the joists and covering the bottom with tin, was 3" deep of dust, lint, etc. You would be better to concentrate efforts to the cold air returns.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I think the biggest reason for your accumulation in those "cheater" returns stems from the fact that they weren't sealed. If they leak air, their suction is greatly reduced, and the particles fall out of suspension. MOST duct systems have formed sheet metal supply and returns, so what the O.P. is planning is very much viable. It might not get everything out of the rectangular main trunk(s), but, it sure should do a pretty good job on the individual round supply ducts to the rooms.

If you have a sheet metal nibbler, you can cut a few access holes in the main trunks ... vacuum them out ... cut some slightly larger pieces of sheet metal and seal the holes back up.

Some people claim duct cleaning removed almost nothing ... others brag about how great the remediation was ... LOTS depends on just how dirty YOUR particular ducts are, and how well they get cleaned. A vacuum is normally the tool of choice for fine dust, but the dust collector should do just fine.

Thanks for the replys.

I agree that the return air will probably be the worst because it is unfiltered coming in and doesn't get the air movement a heat duct would.

I have a dust collector in my shop and can pull a pretty good suction. Just thinking of using the same principle to cause a vacuum in my HVAC system. Then by using a chimney cleaning brush and extensions I could scrub loose the inside and let the Dust collector pull it in. It is more of a household dust environment so it wouldn't be like pulling saw dust particles and chips, but I should be able to get enough negative pressure to suck it up.

The bottom line I was thinking was investing $250 in to the project and having $250 worth of equipment to keep after I am done. I could craigs list them and still be further ahead than paying $250 plus for a cleaning crew to do it for me and not have any tools after it is done.

I am not sure what the price would be for the duct cleaning because I haven't gotten any prices yet, but I would think it would need to be at least $250 just to get them to the door to do a basic job. Anything less wouldn't seem like it would be worth their while.

Let me know if anyone has had their ducts professionally cleaned.

Also, I may not get them as clean, but it still would be better than nothing. And, since it is my time, maybe by taking my time I could actually do a better job than someone that is just trying to get in and get out.

I think you would have around 400CFM or less, which isn't a lot of air flow in a 14" x 10" return duct.

I think you would be better off with a vacuum and brush.............Rod.

I'm no expert on duct cleaning, but I would have to imagine most any dust that has entered the system has done so through the floor vents? As such you could probably take a vacuum and brush as suggested and just suck out the first couple feet near the vent. Unless your running without a filter the rest of the ductwork should be somewhat clean anyway.

good luck,
    JeffD

I agree with the others. Duct cleaning seems like a scam to me. Heat ducts are small to increase velocity & insure the air doesn't cool too much before it gets where it's going. That velocity keeps particles moving & ducts clean. Cold air returns are large & the air velocity is very low. Particles fall out and those that don't will get trapped by the filter at the end of the line. I really doubt the scare tactics used by the duct suckers that this layer of crud just sitting there in your cold air returns are a breeding ground for harmful organisms. If you have such an environment in your returns you have more serious issues & your home should be featured on one of those late night gross-out "reality" shows I never watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I think you would have around 400CFM or less, which isn't a lot of air flow in a 14" x 10" return duct.

I think you would be better off with a vacuum and brush.............Rod.
    The trunk lines are around 8 inches x 18 inches. From there are 6 inch runs. I don't think the idea is going to work unless I can get enough CFM to pull the dust.

We all rationalize equipment purchases one way or another....This one's just a bit more creative that others I've heard.

Just tell your wife these critters come out at night & feast off dead skin under her toenails.....or something similarly disgusting. Get your new dust collector and enjoy!
    dustmit3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burnette View Post
    I agree with the others. Duct cleaning seems like a scam to me. Heat ducts are small to increase velocity & insure the air doesn't cool too much before it gets where it's going. That velocity keeps particles moving & ducts clean. Cold air returns are large & the air velocity is very low. Particles fall out and those that don't will get trapped by the filter at the end of the line. I really doubt the scare tactics used by the duct suckers that this layer of crud just sitting there in your cold air returns are a breeding ground for harmful organisms. If you have such an environment in your returns you have more serious issues & your home should be featured on one of those late night gross-out "reality" shows I never watch.

You wouldn't say that if you saw what came out of my duct work. Plus they also cleaned my cold air returns out and I don't know of any company that wouldn't clean them out.

I borrowed a video snake from a plumber friend to have a look inside my forty year old ducts. They're clean. Theres more stuff under my sofa. YMMV.

Dust Collection topics are always moved to Workshops by convention here...as well as electrical topics. Please note the description of that form from the main forum page. That's why your original thread was moved there. Honestly, this particular use should really go to Off Topic...

Jim SMC Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dust Collection topics are always moved to Workshops by convention here...as well as electrical topics. Please note the description of that form from the main forum page. That's why your original thread was moved there. Honestly, this particular use should really go to Off Topic...

Jim SMC Moderator
    I see your point, but it is a power tool (or modified use) and it isn't being used at a dust collector per say. Off topic would put it even further away from pertinent to power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    You wouldn't say that if you saw what came out of my duct work. Plus they also cleaned my cold air returns out and I don't know of any company that wouldn't clean them out.

Can I ask what it cost you to get it done?